Someone has hacked the forum :( (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:14
Someone has hacked my forums and I estimate a loss of nearly 100,000 posts. Bastards!

I feel so sad that all this data, knowledge, useful content has been obliterated by one ignorant idiot. It has spoilt the community and downgraded a very useful resource that has taken over 7 years to build.

If there was something I could do to catch the person...

seth_belgium

WoW-Addict
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:14
Isn't his IP address logged or something?

However, I presume that idiot will have masked it or routed through some proxy's...

Damn shame indeed that so much data is lost. Maybe you could ask your provider to restore a backup?

Anyway, I'm sure that, with the help of everyone, this community will be up and running in no time! :)

If you need help with anything, just lemme know!

Greetz,

Seth

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
My host only has one days backup. So their backup was taken after the forum was hacked. I am not sure if this is normal practice or not or whether I need to change hosts.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:14
Unbelievable that one person was able to destroy the history and knowledge this forum contained!

What about the backup from the day before the hack? Not the backup from the day the hack occurred.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
They don't have one any older.

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:14
Sorry to hear about this. It has been a useful service.

Not sure, but I might at least look at options about backup policies of hosting companies.
________
Hemi Small Block

Last edited:

borisbruno

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:14
I'm sorry that this happened. It's really hard to move around the forum now. What a waste of an excellent resource! But at least you got rid of that annoying music. :D

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
BTW, Jon, I doubt your host will care what you say but you might want to inform them that if they only keep backups for a day then they may as well not keep them at all. There's really no good reason why a server can't be backed up on a rotation of 2-3 days, and even that's slim.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 18:14
I would definitely look at changing hosts if they only keep one day's backup. That's not very sound planning, in my opinion. :(

I was wondering what was up with that weird e-mail I received. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Even if the host only keeps one days backup, as a webmaster myself, I keep backups of all of my forums/sites locally in case the host itself is hacked. Probably a bad practice to only rely on the hosts backups.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Even if the host only keeps one days backup, as a webmaster myself, I keep backups of all of my forums/sites locally in case the host itself is hacked. Probably a bad practice to only rely on the hosts backups.

ozinm

Human Coffee Siphon
Local time
I wonder how much usefull info can be pulled from achive.org 's way-back-when engine?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I had an e-mail from the hacker, saying he had hacked the site, I don't think it's much good for tracking because it looks like he used Jon's e-mail address to send the E-mail.

ozinm

Human Coffee Siphon
Local time
errr...
Just had a worrying thought. Has the hole the hacker used been patched up?

M

mhackett71

That sh*t sux big time,,, this sight is hella useful whenver i am in a jam....... but i'm sure it'll be back to norm,, and getting good info back in here.. Good luck to us all....

Newman

Québécois
Local time
I just read about the hacking and I wanted to send to Jon and all the members touched by this attack my sympathy. I know how important these posts may be to beginners and all the time other members and Jon have spent on it. Nevertheless, I have faith in our community and believe that pretty soon, answers and advices will come back to fill the void created.

As for the backups, I always use the "seven days a week backup system" (copyrighted by Newman) ;). That is having seven backups, one for each weekdays (sunday, monday, tuesday, ...) and deleting the one that is from the same day as today, but of last week. Adding to this, I make a "1st day of each month backup". So, I can always come back to see how things evolve over time.

skea

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:14
Very very sorry. What valuable information we have lost.No wonder some time back some of us predicted this and every day we've just been blowing our little fingers hoping there was a frequent and successive backup.
Wednesday morning i come and i just get an empty page. Checking my email, i see the shameful message. Its only now that i managed to logon from another PC. Damn it.

skea

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:14
Wait a minute!!! Not until i click clear history button that i can logon again. Does this also happen to any one else!! The hack was that deep-rooted to the temprary folder!! :confused:

bat1799

Registered User.
Local time
Bat1799 Formerly Bat17.
Same/similar problem here.
If I am not logged in I get in OK but if I log in with Bat17 I get an empty page returned - <body></Body>
This new identity seems to be working normaly at the moment though, but I would like my old name back!

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom