Split an MDE database? (1 Viewer)

olorin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:25
I am almost at the finishing line with a great deal of help from here.
I have now normalised the tables, built complicated queries, forms, reports, all from scratch as I knew absolutely nothing before I started with Access three months ago.
I have compacted and repaired the database using the wizard, and also complied the code and analyzed all tables, forms, queries, and reports and relationships.
The final step is to make it an MDE file so that it can go on the local network at work (not on the internet).
My questions are these;

Do I need to split the database into front and back ends?

If I save a copy of the original MDB file and then make it a MDE file would that not suffice in making it run more efficiently?

Can a split MDB database be made into an MDE database?

Any advice, as always, is most welcome.

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:25
olorin said:
Do I need to split the database into front and back ends?

Recommended in a multi user environment.

olorin said:
If I save a copy of the original MDB file and then make it a MDE file would that not suffice in making it run more efficiently?

When making an MDE, the original MDB is not overwitten, but a new MDE file is created. Access slows significantly when a single Db is accessed by multiple users. Record locking and data refreshing also become a problem. An MDE will run code faster (when opening forms or performing complex function)

olorin said:
Can a split MDB database be made into an MDE database?

Yes. Once your database is split, you can distribute it as an MDE or MDB. The back end will remain an MDB

This way, if changes are required, it is simply a matter of altering the original front end MDB, make an MDE if you wish, and distibute it to your front end to your users.

You should also include code to find and link to the back end automatically.

Dave

olorin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:25
Thanx a lot for your informative reply.

I will definately take your advice.

Thanx for your time

WindSailor

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:25
When making an MDE, the original MDB is not overwitten, but a new MDE file is created. Access slows significantly when a single Db is accessed by multiple users. Record locking and data refreshing also become a problem. An MDE will run code faster (when opening forms or performing complex function)

Good point Dave...
From my understanding this is not an application problem, but a Windows issue (if you put this on a network computer and not on a server).
Any (database) application that is not on a server and handles multiple users, the application uses the Windows file system to handle multiple users and speed slows dramatically with each user.
This applies to .Net database engines also. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom