Split Database speed (1 Viewer)

Mr. SLP

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:13
I have a Database I’ve made for my school district that is being accessed across multiple campuses for some reason we are having what appear to be inconsistent connection issues. These issues are not isolated to when we are using wireless but it does seem to make it worse. When we are having these issues the database lags BIG TIME. I’ve tried talking to network services about it and their suggestion was “your database must be corrupt. Make a new 1. Here is a link to some Microsoft forums on how to make it run quicker”

I’ve tried running some read/write tests to the network folder housing the database and get varied results. Does anyone know what speed I should be looking for minimally or any tests I can run to try and pin down the problem so network services can do their job?

On WiFi im getting read speeds from 14.11-17.25Mbps and write speeds between 1.88-7.07Mbps.

On hard wire I’m getting read speeds from 500.91-503.97Mbps and write speeds from 239.28-268.61Mbps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:13
Access doesn't play well over wireless. Even worse would be wireless over WAN.

There are some extensive discussions on here, by both DocMan and Jack Leach (jleach) about the whys and wherefores. I would do a search and if you get stuck or need further assistance come back here.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:13
For a school district, it's best, if you can, use SQL Server (or other RDBMS) instead of Access for storing the data. You can still use Access as a front end (user interface).

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
For once, your network services team gave you good advice.
Using wireless connections and a WAN means your database WILL get corrupted if it isn't already.
As already suggested, a SQL Server BE will be more robust and less likely to object to network interruptions. Even so, I still wouldn't use it with a wireless connection

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 07:13
Yep, the other guys are right. I worked at a place with offices in both Detroit, Michigan and Tempe, AZ, and we had to deal with the databases getting corrupted constantly and ridiculously poor performance on a daily basis until we bit the bullet and transferred the back end to SQL Server.

You're going to keep having these issues until you do something similar.

Mr. SLP

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks guys. I have been toying with switching to an SQL but was hesitant because I have never worked with one and I’m pretty clueless on it. Also, this would require access to something that I don’t currently have. I would assume that the district has some sort of an SQL server for something, now I just need to figure out how to tap into it and how to migrate things over to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:13
Hi. Good luck. Don't forget to holler if you need help.

Mr. SLP

Registered User.
Local time
Well that was a quick response. Tech services from the district said that they have an SQL server but they do not provide end users access to it, which I understand generally, and it would be about $1.5k-$2k for them to add anything to it due to licensing. The suggestion was to “unsplit” the database to fix the speed issues. They also said “because it’s only 1 file it doesn’t warrant being put on an SQL”... I swear the tech services department of this district is ridiculous.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The suggestion was to “unsplit” the database to fix the speed issues
'unsplitting' will not solve speed issues, if anything, will make it worse. And unsplitting will almost certainly result in a high risk of corruption.

Only other thing I can think you can do is to have satellite backends at each locality and develop a basis for synchronising on a regular basis.

Actually there are things you can look at to improve performance - take a look at this link https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=291269

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom