Split Forms: Just. Say. NO! (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:56
Well thanks NG. 😏
I just opened your database on my tablet and had to use task manager to extricate myself from it.

One of the many advantages of the Emulated split form is that you can hide fields in the datasheet/continuous part of the form whilst still setting the focus to that field in the single record part of the form.
Basically the built in split form is OK until you want to change it in any significant way. At that point, it becomes almost impossible to work with.

NOTE the ESF can also be found here in sample databases https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/emulating-the-split-form.294421/

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well thanks NG. 😏
I just opened your database on my tablet and had to use task manager to extricate myself from it.

One of the many advantages of the Emulated split form is that you can hide fields in the datasheet/continuous part of the form whilst still setting the focus to that field in the single record part of the form.
Basically the built in split form is OK until you want to change it in any significant way. At that point, it becomes almost impossible to work with.

NOTE the ESF can also be found here in sample databases https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/emulating-the-split-form.294421/
In fact one of the biggest benefits I thought, was that you do not even need the fields.?
I first came upon them when working for Lloyds Bank and just wanted the datasheet portion for some easy selection of key fields and was disappointed when I found I could not do that.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:56
Well thanks NG. 😏

Hi Colin. I just looked at that link to Sample Databases, and in post #2, you had an edit saying:
isladogs said:
With standard split forms, it is impossible to hide selected columns in the datasheet section of the form
Is that still true? I am on 2016 right now and couldn't duplicate that issue. In other words, I can hide a column in the datasheet portion of the form without affecting the single form part. Or, maybe I am not clear on what you meant by that. Did you mean to say you want to hide a column in datasheet and form view at the same time?

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 03:56
I'm probably not understanding his issue, either, because one of the reasons I choose continuous forms in some cases is to prevent users from modifying the datasheet. That is with a split form.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Colin. I just looked at that link to Sample Databases, and in post #2, you had an edit saying:

Is that still true? I am on 2016 right now and couldn't duplicate that issue. In other words, I can hide a column in the datasheet portion of the form without affecting the single form part. Or, maybe I am not clear on what you meant by that. Did you mean to say you want to hide a column in datasheet and form view at the same time?

I just tried it in Access 365 and agree that's no longer an issue. I'll amend the post you referenced

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:56
I just tried it in Access 365 and agree that's no longer an issue. I'll amend the post you referenced
Hi. Thanks for checking. I guess MS changed it at some point. Cheers!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:56
That is the only trick. You save the picture to the image gallery by making it a shared image. Also you make the image type "Shared". This is a little bit of a PIA, and the only hard part of doing this. This allows you to simply call the image by name.

Well, I am glad you and GasMan had this conversation otherwise I would have been confounded.

One issue I am having is that it doesn't populate my filter choices. I get the Sort A-Z, Z-A and Text Filters options, but the ability to Select All or check individual boxes isn't there.

After checking references and comparing the two Form's properties and trying different things, the only other thing was the type of table. I use SQL Server as the BE and your demo uses a local table.

I converted the table to a local table and voilà, it works. Any ideas on how to work around this for am I just going to have to live with it?

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The image gallery uses attached files saved in a hidden system table MSysResources & another deep hidden table.
It is the fact that the images are 'local' that allows them to be referenced by their name only
In fact image gallery files work whether shared or embedded.
I've never tried using the linked option.
Only use small image files to avoid database bloat.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
@MajP ,

I had to come revisit this thread to tell you how awesome that demo is. Brilliant in its simplicity. Thanks again for posting it. It should go into the sample DB thread.

That's what I think anyway....

Theo Haazen

Local time
Today, 09:56
Hi guy’s

the emulated split form works like a charm. But i have an chalenge for you.

i have a emulated splitform for project transacties, i’d like to put the complete splitform on a tab of the main project form with The linked Child Master key field. Projectid
the single form is filtered when changing the project.current record But the DS Form is not.

how to requery / sync the DS form

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
@NauticalGent
I assume you are talking about using the built in filtering on a continuous form because I do not think I posted anything with split forms. Here is the original thread with lots of screen shots if you did not see it. So maybe a mod can move it for me.

The built in date filter is pretty impressive. That would be a huge undertaking to try to emulate that. I just used this on a project on many forms. It does present a lot of built in utility that many people may not be aware of.

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 03:56
Hi guy’s

the emulated split form works like a charm. But i have an chalenge for you.

i have a emulated splitform for project transacties, i’d like to put the complete splitform on a tab of the main project form with The linked Child Master key field. Projectid
the single form is filtered when changing the project.current record But the DS Form is not.

how to requery / sync the DS form
Before we start posting code, can you show us a screenshot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom