Sporting Favourites (1 Viewer)

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:28
With all the doom and gloom in the world currently, I thought it was time to get back to simpler things.

Sports performers who have taken my breath away on how easy they amke it look: and in no particular order.

Running - Sebastian Coe. The final kick, with no obvious effort glides past the best in world at the time - fluidity in motion

Swimming - Alexander Popov -How the hell can you swim that fast over 50 / 100 metres with your arms moving so slowly???? - fluidity in motion

Cricket (Yanks need not apply) David Gower / Mark Waugh. With no apparent effort, the ball was on / over the boundary - and the ultimate dilemma as fans, when they got out for not much, why didn't they try harder?? - fluidity in motion

Basketball (of which I know VERY little) - it is obvious Jordon could do things that nobody else could, but if it were my choice I would pick Magic Johnson - he could RUN a team, not expect the team to built around him - fluidity in motion

Cricket (again) As an Australian, the obvious is Don Bradman - I am 2 generations away from ever seeing him, but by statistics is TWICE as good as Viv Richards, Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara, who I have seen - Beyond my comprehension

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:28
You haven't mentioned soccer and of course the greatest player of them all, George Best

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:28
You haven't mentioned soccer and of course the greatest player of them all, George Best

Don't know enough about it comment, I have only seen snippets of him on TV, although I know he is widely regarded as the most gifted of all of them

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:28
how easy they amke it look:

Surely Usain Bolt's 100 metres (in fact his 200 metres wasn't bad either :p) at Beijing has to be up there he even did it with his shoelace untied.

There are loads of sportsmen and women I think you can class as great some though I think are not rated highly enough (well they are certainly in their sports but not recognised by many 'great sports persons lists'). A couple of the top of my head Sergey Bubka, Fanny Blankers-Koen and Jahangir Khan.

There are some that are never recognised apart from those fans of the sport one name in particular spring to mind Andy Priaulx, he's won 4 championships including 3 World Touring Car Championships in a row but has never even been nominated for British Sport Personality of the year (in fact I don't even think he's been mentioned).

Slightly off topic but how about great sporting moments:

Ali - Rumble in the Jungle - This is round 8, knock out 2:29 in but if you watch the whole fight (or indeed the documentary) Ali's tactics were spot on and really showed how good he was.

Torvill and Dean - '84 Olympics - Perfection personified.

And to continue the Cricket references - Paul Collingwood - 'That catch' aka Superman.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 13:28
In Rugby Union the three most elegant fly halfs I have seen were Richard Sharp(England), Barry John and Phil Bennett( both Wales). High praise from a scot:D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:28
Minkey, I second the Torvill and Dean '84 performance!

My own favorite was not human. I refer to "Big Red" himself, the horse Secretariat. He won fairly easily in the Kentucky Derby, then in the shorter Preakness, was still in the lead without much of a problem. In the Belmont Stakes, however, the word "awesome" might actually apply. The jockey wasn't whipping Big Red, just riding and steering a little. When Big Red entered the home stretch, no other horse was within 20 lengths. And yet it seemed as though Secretariat was merely loping along. I've seen some really beautiful horses race, but Big Red made them all look slow. Rest in peace, Red.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 05:28
I like to watch lacrosse, good hard hitting action. Guess there is not to many lacrosse fans here though.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've heard that Lacrosse is similar to Hockey in one way .... you can go to a fight and have a good chance that a hockey game will break out. Is Lacrosse similar?

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Well mine would be Daley Thompson - athletics - and Team GB captain - his performance was magical - his atitude was spot on - - Its a disgrace that he has not be given a MBE

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
No. If you want to get out of a game real fast, throw a punch. Want to get removed from play for the remainder of a season (including playoffs and championships) fight three times.

I've heard that Lacrosse is similar to Hockey in one way .... you can go to a fight and have a good chance that a hockey game will break out. Is Lacrosse similar?

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 08:28
Tiger Woods is destined to be the greatest golfer ever. Marital problems not withstanding.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Jairo Miguel it appears has a shot at being a great matador.

quote=[ Associated Press]

CACERES, Spain – A 16-year-old Spanish matador killed six bulls in one afternoon Saturday, pulling off a feat normally attempted only by seasoned veterans and winning trophies for his bravery — ears from animals he had just slain.
Jairo Miguel Sanchez Alonso, who nearly died from a horrific goring in Mexico in 2007, smiled broadly and waved to a friendly hometown crowd after the series of fights which took about two and a half hours.
The tall, slender boy showed his stuff in an arena called Plaza Era de los Martires, or Time of the Martyrs.
The bullfighter, who goes by the stage name of Jairo Miguel, turned in his best performance with bull No. 5, a hulking black specimen that weighed 435 kilograms (959 pounds).
After skillful cape-work he finished off the bull with a single deathblow from his sword, sliding it into a spot where it severed the beast's spinal chord. With the rest of the bulls he needed around three tries.
For that effort he was awarded the animal's severed ears, one of the bullfighting world's prizes for a job well done.
Minutes before he stepped into the ring, Jairo Miguel hugged his former bullfighter father and wept, underlying the emotions behind his courageous attempt. In just under an hour, he successfully slew his first bull, a black beast weighing 450 kilograms (990 pounds).[/quote]

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Tiger Woods is the best golfer ever. His lack of ability to hire the right spin doctors in regards to his performance off the courses and his personal dilemmas are just a marketing nightmare. He might not make his sponsors happy but he can play golf like no one else.

Tiger Woods is destined to be the greatest golfer ever. Marital problems not withstanding.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
If he collects any more bull ears he will be elligible for a free trip to the ice flows to club baby seals to death. Good for him!

Jairo Miguel it appears has a shot at being a great matador.

quote=[ Associated Press]

CACERES, Spain – A 16-year-old Spanish matador killed six bulls in one afternoon Saturday, pulling off a feat normally attempted only by seasoned veterans and winning trophies for his bravery — ears from animals he had just slain.
Jairo Miguel Sanchez Alonso, who nearly died from a horrific goring in Mexico in 2007, smiled broadly and waved to a friendly hometown crowd after the series of fights which took about two and a half hours.
The tall, slender boy showed his stuff in an arena called Plaza Era de los Martires, or Time of the Martyrs.
The bullfighter, who goes by the stage name of Jairo Miguel, turned in his best performance with bull No. 5, a hulking black specimen that weighed 435 kilograms (959 pounds).
After skillful cape-work he finished off the bull with a single deathblow from his sword, sliding it into a spot where it severed the beast's spinal chord. With the rest of the bulls he needed around three tries.
For that effort he was awarded the animal's severed ears, one of the bullfighting world's prizes for a job well done.
Minutes before he stepped into the ring, Jairo Miguel hugged his former bullfighter father and wept, underlying the emotions behind his courageous attempt. In just under an hour, he successfully slew his first bull, a black beast weighing 450 kilograms (990 pounds).
[/QUOTE]

statsman

Local time
Hockey player Wayne Gretzky was a sight to behold in his prime. He led his team to 3 championships. He also holds every scoring record in the book (both single season and career).

Interestingly, he also holds the record for most records.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Even more amazing... Leafs 5 Sens 0!
Hockey player Wayne Gretzky was a sight to behold in his prime. He led his team to 3 championships. He also holds every scoring record in the book (both single season and career).

Interestingly, he also holds the record for most records.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The talk of bullfighters reminds me of the story of the tourist who ate at a restaurant next to a bullring in Mexico. As he sat down to his meal, a waiter brought another man a plate with a long object that looked like a huge sausage and two large lumps of meat that appeared to be meatballs.

When he had a chance, he asked the waiter what the man had ordered. The waited said, "We get those things from the bullring next door."

The diner said, "Could I order one now?"

The waiter sadly shook his head. "No, senor, we have a limited supply based on the number of bullfights. That was our last one of the day."

Each day for the next few days, that same man came back to the restaurant and tried to order the bullring special. Each time, he was told that none were available because others had beaten him to the order. They could not accept reservations, either.

Finally, one day he came in, placed his order, and was told "Ah, yes, we have one more bullfight special." A few minutes later, out it came. But when the cover came off, the sausage was much shorter and the meatballs were smaller as well. The patron asked the waiter, "These look a bit smaller than the dish I saw last week."

The waiter replied, "Senor, sometimes the bull wins."

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
The talk of bullfighters reminds me of the story of the tourist who ate at a restaurant next to a bullring in Mexico. As he sat down to his meal, a waiter brought another man a plate with a long object that looked like a huge sausage and two large lumps of meat that appeared to be meatballs.

When he had a chance, he asked the waiter what the man had ordered. The waited said, "We get those things from the bullring next door."

The diner said, "Could I order one now?"

The waiter sadly shook his head. "No, senor, we have a limited supply based on the number of bullfights. That was our last one of the day."

Each day for the next few days, that same man came back to the restaurant and tried to order the bullring special. Each time, he was told that none were available because others had beaten him to the order. They could not accept reservations, either.

Finally, one day he came in, placed his order, and was told "Ah, yes, we have one more bullfight special." A few minutes later, out it came. But when the cover came off, the sausage was much shorter and the meatballs were smaller as well. The patron asked the waiter, "These look a bit smaller than the dish I saw last week."

The waiter replied, "Senor, sometimes the bull wins."

Haha.. you should put this one in the jokes thread....

I agree about Tiger. Does he have personal problems? Sure, but he is simply amazing at golf. I didn't become a fan of him because I liked what he did when he wasn't golfing.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When Tiger Woods concentrates on his game and isn't fighting knee problems, and in particular when he is "in the zone" - there can be no doubt that he plays a different game than everyone else is playing. He makes spectacular shots more often than not. I feel sorry for him - not because he is losing money over this situation - but because he seems to have lost his way. I wonder what his dad would tell him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom