SQL Code To Define Field Format - Mismatch (1 Viewer)

mellis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:12
Hi,

I have created an union query to pull together the same data from 2 ODBC tables (seperate countries).

As there is a clash in the client number I have added a "N" prefix to differentiate NZ from Australia, as below:

The problem I now have is that I get type mismatch when linking to another table. How could I change the SQL below to dictate the field format to number (providing it will accept the "N" prefix) or all to text?

Thanks in advance

Michael

SELECT dbo_ClientMaster.ClientNumber, dbo_ClientMaster.Name, dbo_ClientMaster.AddressLine1, dbo_ClientMaster.AddressLine2, dbo_ClientMaster.AddressLine3, dbo_ClientMaster.AddressLine4, dbo_ClientMaster.TradeCode, dbo_ClientMaster.ReviewLimit, dbo_ClientMaster.ClientStartDate, dbo_ClientMaster.TypeOfTrade, dbo_ClientMaster.NextReviewDate, dbo_ClientMaster.LastReviewDate, dbo_ClientMaster.TerminationDate, dbo_ClientMaster.TerminationReason, dbo_ClientMaster.BankSortCode, dbo_ClientMaster.BankAccountNumber
FROM dbo_ClientMaster;
UNION ALL SELECT "N" & [dbo_ClientMaster1.ClientNumber], dbo_ClientMaster1.Name, dbo_ClientMaster1.AddressLine1, dbo_ClientMaster1.AddressLine2, dbo_ClientMaster1.AddressLine3, dbo_ClientMaster1.AddressLine4, dbo_ClientMaster1.TradeCode, dbo_ClientMaster1.ReviewLimit, dbo_ClientMaster1.ClientStartDate, dbo_ClientMaster1.TypeOfTrade, dbo_ClientMaster1.NextReviewDate, dbo_ClientMaster1.LastReviewDate, dbo_ClientMaster1.TerminationDate, dbo_ClientMaster1.TerminationReason, dbo_ClientMaster1.BankSortCode, dbo_ClientMaster1.BankAccountNumber
FROM dbo_ClientMaster1;

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 05:12
In this case I would be tempted to add a field to the query to distinguish what a record's original table was. Consider this simplified example. . .
SELECT Field1, Field2, "Table1" As srcTable
FROM Table1
UNION
SELECT Field1, Field2, "Table2" As srcTable
FROM Table2
This preserves the data type of the source data, but still gives you a handle on the source table of each row.
Hope this helps,

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:12
a number is a number, add a non numeric character and it becomes text.

Suggest either make all values text (i.e. add a different letter to the ClientNumber) or better to have a separate field for the N

Code:
SELECT "A" AS Country, dbo_ClientMaster.ClientNumber,....
UNION SELECT "N", [dbo_ClientMaster1.ClientNumber],...

The reason it is better is that indexing will be preserved which means your query will work faster and it will be easier to link to other tables

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom