SQL is very important (1 Viewer)

Sarah.M

Local time
Today, 16:07
Hi, During the journey of trying to learn Microsoft Access, it became clear to me that the query language is very important, as I am facing so much difficulty in it o_O:cautious:. Would you suggest to me sites on the Internet that explain MS SQL to start a language learning journey, spicialy iif function and IN Function

Plz help me with your kind sites suggestions for beginner 🙏

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:07
Hi. Perhaps you can start here.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:07
To learn about IN as a part of SQL, you need to look up the topic SUBQUERY because IN very often uses a SUBQUERY to define the domain over which the IN does its searching. In that sense, IN is not a beginner's qualifier. Doesn't mean you won't need it - but get comfortable with queries that don't use the IN clause first, then advance your way to them.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:07
It does sometimes but often it can simply be a list of comma separated values.

True that, G. I so rarely use that option that sometimes I forget. But in practical terms it is usually done that way for short lists only.

ANOTHER option with IN is when you use it to identify an external DB file from which you are lifting some data. That is when it gets exotic. IN has a really wide range of uses, which is the reason for my offering the warning. It is SO versatile that it could be confusing to people who are not very comfortable with SQL.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:07
If you are happy to learn from videos, check out the series of free videos on YouTube by Steve Bishop.
There are over 100 in total from beginner level all the way through to advanced

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:07
To learn about IN as a part of SQL, you need to look up the topic SUBQUERY because IN very often uses a SUBQUERY to define the domain over which the IN does its searching. In that sense, IN is not a beginner's qualifier. Doesn't mean you won't need it - but get comfortable with queries that don't use the IN clause first, then advance your way to them.
+1 for Doc's point.
(If you're referring to In(subquery) )

Learn basic joins first and use them as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom