SQL Query: Left join with two conditions behaving like an inner join. (1 Viewer)

ArtVents

Local time
Yesterday, 16:23
I did some searching before deciding to ask, but here is my issue.

select A.*
, B.Name
from Table1 as A
left join Table2 as B
on (A.Id = B.Id
and A.Variable = "Value");

This is my entire query. A.Variable represents one of three categories, and when I include "A.Variable = 'Value'" my query only returns rows that contain this value.

More context:
Because of issues beyond my control, I have to deal with three different categories that do not have a unique id. A unique identifier consists of the id + category. I need to pull in a name that correlates to the id + category combination.

Any help here would be awesome. I'm coming from programming in SAS, and Access has so far been a struggle.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:23
Might be better for readers to offer more focused advice if you
-told us in plain English what you are trying to achieve
-described the categories and how they apply
-showed us some data values that you are working with
-showed us what you expect as the result of the query based on your sample data values.

ArtVents

Local time
Might be better for readers to offer more focused advice if you
-told us in plain English what you are trying to achieve
-described the categories and how they apply
-showed us some data values that you are working with
-showed us what you expect as the result of the query based on your sample data values.

Fair point!
I have a query that unions 3 tables. This part works pretty well, but I need to pull in a multivalue variable that exists in all three. My instinct was to then join my post-union dataset to the original three tables to only pull the multivalue variable from their respective tables.

Categories are created in the query, and I am not able to edit the original tables. So, my hope was to join on the Id variable (which repeats in all three tables), but only join where category = X.

When I run the query with this "on" statement, it completely excludes the other two categories. If I add a second join, for one of the other two original tables, it returns no results (I'm assuming it's because the second join is on Id + category = Y.).

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Fair point!
I have a query that unions 3 tables. This part works pretty well, but I need to pull in a multivalue variable that exists in all three. My instinct was to then join my post-union dataset to the original three tables to only pull the multivalue variable from their respective tables.

Categories are created in the query, and I am not able to edit the original tables. So, my hope was to join on the Id variable (which repeats in all three tables), but only join where category = X.

When I run the query with this "on" statement, it completely excludes the other two categories. If I add a second join, for one of the other two original tables, it returns no results (I'm assuming it's because the second join is on Id + category = Y.).
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

By using field=value, I think you're pretty much applying a filter against the data.

ArtVents

Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

By using field=value, I think you're pretty much applying a filter against the data.

That feels bizarre to me. Working in other SQL environments, this would join on rows where the field matched, and ignore/return null for the ones that did not. Isn't a left join supposed to return all rows from the left table?

ArtVents

Local time
I figured out a solution.
In my left join, I changed the syntax to:
left join Table2 as B
on iif(Field = "Value", A.Id, null) = B.Id

This worked like a charm. Thank you everyone for the rubber ducking!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I figured out a solution.
In my left join, I changed the syntax to:

This worked like a charm. Thank you everyone for the rubber ducking!
Interesting, since Null can't be equal to anything, but glad to hear it worked for you. Cheers!

Bullschmidt

Freelance DB Developer
Local time
Yesterday, 18:23
Left join with two conditions behaving like an inner join

The way I sometimes deal with that is having the criteria in subqueries and then the main left join in the main query.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom