SQL server to new user (1 Viewer)

Babycat

Local time
Today, 22:51
Hi everybody

I am not a database guy, my first Access program was built and delivered a year ago, I had learnt everything myself from our forum and internet.
Until now, I can completely build an small access program for single user/PC. I am learning to share the BE on network drive and mutiple FE user on LAN network, it looks promising.
However, most of ppl whom talk to, expect accessing their db via internet. I have searched for information and saw few tutorials saying that BE on SQL server and ms-access FE on user's computer. Someone please help to clarify me:

1. SQL server + Access FE: I can have "internet" access to my database? Or is it still only limitted on LAN network?
2. My access db have no Attachment type, thus I can migrate all table to SQL Server. In that case, how is about form event such as BeforeUpdate, FormOpen, are they identical to using Access (BE + FE)
3. Any site, infomative toturial that I can learn from scratch?

Thank you!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:51
Hi. You can use SQL Server and Access over the Internet if your server allows connections over the Internet. So, you will have to verify that first.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:51
You have posted other issues regarding your IT department. I will qualify DBG's answer slightly. You can use SQL Server with an Access FE for as much distance as your IT guys allow Server Message Block protocols to travel. It IS possible for them, in their typical excessive zeal, to block some protocols and SMB is usually one of the first to go. If you cannot use SMB from the FE to the BE over your company's network, you are dead in the water. This kind of blockage USUALLY occurs at some sort of internal network boundary. Therefore, to be more precise, an Access FE usually works well with SQL Server over an INTRANET but not always so well over an INTERNET.

Babycat

Local time
Today, 22:51
You have posted other issues regarding your IT department. I will qualify DBG's answer slightly. You can use SQL Server with an Access FE for as much distance as your IT guys allow Server Message Block protocols to travel. It IS possible for them, in their typical excessive zeal, to block some protocols and SMB is usually one of the first to go. If you cannot use SMB from the FE to the BE over your company's network, you are dead in the water. This kind of blockage USUALLY occurs at some sort of internal network boundary. Therefore, to be more precise, an Access FE usually works well with SQL Server over an INTRANET but not always so well over an INTERNET.
Thank you, It is clear to me. so SQL server with Access is helpful to by pass Access limitation of of 2G BE size, SQL server might handles conlision better than Access... But at the end, Access BE and SQL server is not a good choice to go "online app".
Thanks again for your clarification

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:51
You can use SQL Server with an Access FE for as much distance as your IT guys allow Server Message Block protocols to travel.
Are you sure about this? - I don't think SMB is relevant for SQL Server access.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:51
Actually, you have a point there, @sonic8. I was posting last night when I was tired. (Got to stop doing that...)

@Babycat, sonic8 is correct. The specific case of SQL Server BE/Access FE SHOULD use ODBC protocols. However, overzealous IT groups HAVE been known to block those past a particular boundary, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom