Strange Behavior in a Combo Box (1 Viewer)

KACJR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:10
Joined
Jul 26, 2012
Messages
71
Greetings to the well of knowledge...

This is a strange one.

I have a user of one of our Access front-end apps that often has need to move from an app that requires data entered as all caps (primitive, I know) to the Access front end. There is a drop-down search field that users can employ to select an individual. I cannot describe what's going on but I can show you video.

Here are links to two videos in my Google Drive:
This one shows the correct behavior for this drop-down object: Correct behavior
This one shows the bad behavior that this user is seeing: Bad behavior

Note that Caps Lock is on for both scenarios.

I have looked at the properties of the field and see nothing amiss. And here's the other thing: I use this same logic in other drop-down fields, and it works as expected for everyone, including my problem user.

I've recompiled the front end, thinking it might have become corrupted.
I've replaced the keyboard.
I've moved the keyboard to a different USB port.
No love.

Frankly, I'm thinking there some kind of flaw in either Windows, this person's copy of Access, or the hardware.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ken
 

KACJR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:10
Joined
Jul 26, 2012
Messages
71
Additional info:
Windows 10 20H2
Access 2016, fully patched.
 

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 08:10
Joined
Sep 21, 2011
Messages
8,752
That appears to be like the Insert key is on?
 

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:10
Joined
Feb 28, 2001
Messages
20,629
Rule out hardware in the sense of "malfunction" because you say it works correctly for other fields. Rule out Windows issues for the same reason. Neither of those reasons would cause the selective behavior you report (one works, other doesn't). In trouble-shooting, that kind of behavior screams "look for individual differences."

My best advice is to look at this control vs. another one with similar setup but that works correctly. (You said you had some like that.) Open up the property sheets for each control and do a one-by-one property compare. Also look at EVERY event's code to verify that they are identical. If these are bound controls, ALSO look at the underlying properties of the field in its table and of any query that intervenes between the table and the form.

If that goes nowhere, consider that you might have a subtle form of corruption. Create the form in question from scratch. You can copy/paste any code, but DON'T copy the form and just rename the copy. See if that helps.

As a last gasp, try to make a new copy of the file in question by creating a blank DB and then importing everything into it from the old DB. (Yes, the WHOLE FILE.)
 

Mike Krailo

Active member
Local time
Today, 03:10
Joined
Mar 28, 2020
Messages
310
To re-iterate, you are saying that this behavior only occurs for one user and it works just fine for other users on different computer systems? I would create a new user account on that users machine and test in the new account to rule out any possible user profile weirdness. If the form is working for other users and not this one user, then there has to be some other outside influence in that users account or on their system. If that user is running any kind of scripts like Auto Hot Key or similar, that can take over the app. So check all the processes that are running on that system and see what is different. Why it is only targeting the one control on one users system doesn't make sense unless it is a user account profile issue or conflicting app problem.
 

KACJR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:10
Joined
Jul 26, 2012
Messages
71
To re-iterate, you are saying that this behavior only occurs for one user and it works just fine for other users on different computer systems? I would create a new user account on that users machine and test in the new account to rule out any possible user profile weirdness. If the form is working for other users and not this one user, then there has to be some other outside influence in that users account or on their system. If that user is running any kind of scripts like Auto Hot Key or similar, that can take over the app. So check all the processes that are running on that system and see what is different. Why it is only targeting the one control on one users system doesn't make sense unless it is a user account profile issue or conflicting app problem.
Nothing about this adds up. I'm thinking, as a low hanging fruit possible fix, uninstalling Access from her machine, running CCleaner to remove all remnants, then reinstalling it and see what happens.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom