Strange error after changing regional settings... (1 Viewer)

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:36
Hi there,

one of the users of my application has set his regional settings of Windows to Turkish which caused a strange error. So the application has 2 forms, one of which is for creating quotes, and the other for creating jobs. The "create quote" form is working absolutely fine. When I start the "create job" form, however, an input window appears where I 'm prompted to type in the values of 2 query criteria ([Form]![CustomerID], [Form]![QuoteID]). The strange thing is that the other form (which is works perfectly) has a similar query with the same identical criterion ([Form]![CustomerID]). So how is it possible that Access cannot link the criteria in one form to the fields, but in the other it can??? Absolutely frustrating.... I've already tried Me!CustomerID, but it didn't help. BTW: When I'm using my standard regional settings (German), both forms are working...:-/

I forgot: after the input boxes I'm getting: The expression On Load you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: A problem occured while Microsoft Access was communicating with the Ole server or ActiveX Control
-> again: none of this happens with my German regional settings...

Thank you for help!! FRANK

Last edited:

James Dudden

Access VBA Developer
Local time
Today, 13:36
Are you both running the same OS and version of Access?

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
...don't know! But I get the same errors when I change the regional settings on my system...

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:36
I don't know what your exact problem is but there are some difference between languages.

Languages which use a comma as the decimal separator use a semicolon to separate parameters in functions instead of the comma.

Some languages use different strings in the Format function. For example Greek requires the Greek letter from their word for month instead of "m".

Some languages use a different date separator. The forward slash is a placeholder in some expressions that will be substituted with the regional symbol.

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
...ok, but I don't see how that relates to the fact that Access simply does not recognise my query field criterion (form!customerid) in one form, while everything works fine in the other...

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The problem could be subtle corruption of the form.

Try using the clipboard to copy all the controls on the form to a new form. Similarly copy the content of the form's module to the new form's module.

Delete the old form and rename the new one. Do not just change the name of the original form if you have Name AutoCorrect on (the default) or that change will be cascaded.

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you - that was good advice. Building the form from scratch didn't help, but then I simply deleted the form elements successively to see what element is causing the error. In three different forms I had text fields named jobid etc. that caused the errors. After renaming them, the errors disappeared. It seems as if Access messed up some of the text field names under the Turkish regional settings....

thank you!!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In three different forms I had text fields named jobid etc. that caused the errors. After renaming them, the errors disappeared.

That is a curious error.

It reminds me of one of the first databases I ever made. I had the same control names in multiple open forms and it played up badly.

In my case it was in the VBA where had not yet discovered the use of Me in the reference. I tried to reproduce the error after being challenged on my claim in a post that Access could get confused without Me.

However your's is even stranger as you are using full references.

Why it would be manifested by the change to Turkish is just as mysterious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom