string value instead of a query (1 Viewer)

roosn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:01
1st, i have tried to search, but i am not sure how to title the search

i know what i want to do, but dont know the full correct access terminology

hence please bear with me

i have a table of 120,000 records. each record is applicable to at least 1 part, therefore i placed a FK in this table and created another related table i will have in access of 140,000 records which has a PK

this allows me to query the records table by the part/s it is applicable to

is it possible, rather than have that additional related 140,000 record table, i could add a text field to the record table with the values in a string format, such as 2, 11, 14, 16 etc, where 2, 11, 14, 16 etc are the ID's of the parts

i could then query the part value with an 'IN' statement from the text field

this will have benefits on the size of the db, because i lose a table of 140,000+ plus records, but is it acceptable practice and will it effect performance

thanks in advance

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:01
yes you can, you can then join them using single table.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:01
is it possible, rather than have that additional related 140,000 record table, i could add a text field to the record table with the values in a string format, such as 2, 11, 14, 16 etc, where 2, 11, 14, 16 etc are the ID's of the parts

It could be done but it would be slower. A foreign key can be indexed making queries very fast. Using the string will require every record to be processed when searching for specific values.

I would strongly advise you not to do it.

roosn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:01
It could be done but it would be slower. A foreign key can be indexed making queries very fast. Using the string will require every record to be processed when searching for specific values.

I would strongly advise you not to do it.

Thank you for the advice, its been taken

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:01
you can always index on the new field, and why not use long integer since you are saving numbers in the field anyway?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:01
you can always index on the new field, and why not use long integer since you are saving numbers in the field anyway?

I think you have misunderstood the original question. They were asking about using comma separated values recorded as a string in one field as an alternative to a junction table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom