Solved Subtract from previous field (1 Viewer)

zelarra821

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:22
Good night from Spain. I want to subtract a field from the previous field, I don't know if I explain myself. I have this function, which works for me in another database, but for some unknown reason, it doesn't in this one.

Code:
Function CalcularDiferencia(CampoARestar As String, Id As Double) As Double
    Dim regAnterior As Double
    If IsNull(CampoARestar) Then Exit Function
    regAnterior = Nz(DMax(Replace(CampoARestar, ",", "."), "TGasControl_lecturas para calefacccion", "Id<" & Id), 0)
    If regAnterior = 0 Then
        CalcularDiferencia = regAnterior
    Else
        CalcularDiferencia = CampoARestar - regAnterior
    End If
End Function

The field to subtract (CampoARestar) is cubic meters, and I want to know the difference with the last date entered.

Thanks.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 10:22
I would not use a function but a subquery

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:22
which works for me in another database, but for some unknown reason, it doesn't in this one.
doesn't help us to help you - what does this mean? you get an error? wrong result? something else?

perhaps show some data - as it is and how you want it to be. You mention you want the previous date, but your dmax is using ID

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:22
This assumes cubic meters, ID, and date are always increasing with each record. Either ID or date should work.

zelarra821

Registered User.
Local time
I would not use a function but a subquery

Code:
Function CalcularDiferencia(Id As Double) As Double
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
    Dim strSql As String

strSql = "SELECT [m3]-(SELECT top 1 m3 As Diferencia" _
            & " FROM [TGasControl_lecturas para calefacccion] AS A" _
            & " WHERE A.m3 < [TGasControl_lecturas para calefacccion].m3" _
            & " ORDER BY m3 DESC) AS Diferencia)" _
            & " FROM [TGasControl_lecturas para calefacccion]" _
            & " WHERE ((([TGasControl_lecturas para calefacccion].Id)=" & Id & "))"
    Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSql)
    If Not (rst.EOF And rst.BOF) Then
         CalcularDiferencia = rst("Diferencia")
    End If
    rst.Close
    Set rst = Nothing
End Function

I have created this function, but I get an error that the SELECT statement includes a reserved word. As much as I've tried changing things, I can't find the key to make it work correctly.

MajP

Local time
I am not suggesting doing that. I would simply make working query like I suggested that has ID, and calculated Diferencia. Then make a simple function.

calcularDiferencia = dlookup("Diferencia","YourQuery","ID = " & ID
End Function

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:22
Seems the original function should work. Alternatively, as suggested, could build nested query object. Then if you need calculated value for a particular ID or date, use DLookup to pull.

Here is another example http://allenbrowne.com/subquery-01.html#AnotherRecord

If you still need help, advise provide sample data. Could even attach db for analysis.

Last edited:

zelarra821

Registered User.
Local time
Fixed. Why do I get values like 3.01000000000001, when they are subtractions of three decimal places? I have set the cubic meter field as double.

MajP

Local time
Floating point arithmetic

The Single and Double data types are very precise, that is, they make it possible for you to specify extremely small or large numbers. However, these data types are not very accurate because they use floating-point mathematics. Floating-point mathematics has an inherent limitation in that it uses binary digits to represent decimals. Not all the numbers within the range available to the Single or Double data type can be represented exactly in binary form, so they are rounded. Also, some numbers cannot be represented exactly with any finite number of digits, pi, for example, or the decimal resulting from 1/3.
Because of these limitations to floating-point mathematics, you might encounter rounding errors when you perform operations on floating-point numbers. Compared to the size of the value you are working with, the rounding error will be very small. If you do not require absolute accuracy and can afford relatively small rounding errors, the floating-point data types are ideal for representing very small or very large values. On the other hand, if your values must be accurate - for example, if you are working with money values - you should consider one of the scaled integer data types.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'll ust comment that ID as a double does not make a good field for creating relationships.

You have just posted the reason why - doubles are not precise.

zelarra821

Registered User.
Local time
So which one do I have to use instead of double? I have the ID in the table as an Integer, but the cubic meter as a double.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I presume this is an access back end? Normally it would be an autonumber which is a long. If it is an integer - which limits you to 32 thousand odd records, why are you declaring it as a double?

Also means you are not using the autonumber functionality which means there is no guarantee that the ID's will increment in order. I presume you are using something like the dmax+1 functionality to increment the ID, but that is not infallible, particularly in a multi user environment. Plus sometimes it is possible that records do not get entered in the right order which can also have an impact on your calculation

zelarra821

Registered User.
Local time
I have already solved the ID by putting it Long.

Now I have another problem. In the query with the subquery I use to calculate the difference, it shows me some subtraction with many decimal places, when there should only be three. The problem is not in VBA, because I don't use it to calculate the difference, but SQL. I have read the text that MajP has passed, and from what I understand, to solve it I must use an Integer number, but it does not store decimals. Could you tell me exactly what the solution is, or is this simply unsolvable and has to stay that way? Thank you very much.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 61
  • ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 68

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 23:22
I normally use currency data type when I need decimal.
Then set the format of the text box to General Number.

MajP

Local time
Now I have another problem. In the query with the subquery I use to calculate the difference, it shows me some subtraction with many decimal places, when there should only be three.
None of that should matter. That is just a formatting issue since to practical difference from 2.98 and 2.9799999999. If you need to display the values then wrap the display with a rounding or formatting function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom