Suggest a movie to watch (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:31
Uncle G, I have to say I agree on the John Carter movie (2012, 132 min). It wasn't that popular at the box office and only got a 6.6 from IMDB, but part of its problem was that it was made too late. Having read some of the Edgar Rice Burroughs "John Carter" novels, I have to say that it was a pretty decent treatment and I enjoyed it a lot. However, entirely too many "space operas" had already been made by 2012 and it paled in comparison to the Star Wars franchise, which had more spectacular special effects. Also, because it was more faithful to A Princess of Mars, it was a little hokey in some ways, mostly because they knew they couldn't travel the way that the books used for travel - basically a wish and a prayer of sorts.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:31
Edgar Rice Burroughs
I think my mom had the whole Tarzan series in paper back. I loved the artwork on those books.

1588690929534.png

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
The fight scene in The Quiet Man is classic and silly.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Speaking of fight scenes, I saw on the morning news and more it of on Yahoo News, a virtual fight scene between a number of actresses. Other than the 'violent content', it is quite funny and very well done.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Click (Adam Sandler) and Family Man (Nicholas Cage)

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I liked Next with Nicholas Cage. The end of the movie is not the ending I was expecting.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:31
NC blew me away with his role in Leaving Las Vegas. I could hardly believe the transformation between his sober vs intoxicated character. Made me wonder if some alcoholics really do undergo that style of transformation. Some get mean, some too melancholy. He was something different.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 08:31
Something About Mary

Talking about Nicholas Cage, when he was making good movies, there is Peggy Sue Got Married. Seems that the audience did not appreciate it too much. Only had an audience rating of 55% on Rotten Tomatoes. I found it to be an extremely powerful reflection of what it means to be married.

Speaking of grossly misunderstood movies, there is Starship Troopers. You really need to read the book, by Robert Heinlien. Forget about the "bugs". The story (in the book) is about leadership and what if means to be an officer. The most bothersome part to the movie was at the end where Rico, Ibanez, and Jenkins walk off into the "sunset" as giddy buddies without any apparent remorse for their loves who just died. Only in Hollywood can you have true love, then in the next scene forget about that love as if it had never occurred.

As an aside, Starship Troopers portrays a 1950's society. It is dressed-up to appear "modern", but it isn't. Took me a while to realize that.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As a really fervent fan of Heinlein, I understand what you are saying, Steve. Every now and then Heinlein would come out with a really insightful view. Your comment about "walking off into the sunset" is on point but you have to remember that when that story was written, nobody was using the term PTSD and so Heinlein didn't write about it. Paul Verhoven didn't add it. And we can of course forget about the abysmal sequels. But perhaps his estate (his kids) enjoyed the royalties.

I've seen only one other of his stories made into a "decent" production - a made-for-TV version of The Puppet Masters - and other readers should not confuse this with the movies about tiny demonic puppets. He wrote a "juvenile" story that was made into Destination Moon but it was done a bit hokey and I wasn't impressed.

deletedT

Local time
Today, 12:31
A movie with a lot of subtlety with Sean Connery and Candice Bergen that I'm betting most have not heard of, one of few I bought the DVD of:

The Wind and the Lion

An Amazon series we really like, based on a series of books we read and liked:

Bosch

I added The Wind and The Lion to my watch list.
I'm not truly a fan of series. They make me sit and watch them one after the other. And mostly they go to somewhere they never meant to.
Lost one of them.

deletedT

Local time
I started making notes of movies I liked a few years back and this is my list:-

Favorite Films
Hobson's Choice (Cobblers)
The Time Bandits
Time Runners (2013)
Multiplicity (clones comedy)
Groundhog Day
Men in Black 3 (v good)
Vica Versa
Kinky Boots
The Lady Killers 1955

The Quiet Man - John Wayne in Ireland gets Wed

Shawshank Redemption - Andy Dufresne played by Tim Robbins,
wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304536104579560021265554240

John Carter of Mars

We have a lot of UK members and to my surprise no one suggested UK movies. What a surprise to see Kinky Boots in your list. I was sure somebody will suggest Witness for the Prosecution but no body did.

I added the following to my list. The rest have been watched already.
Thanks for suggesting.

Hobson's Choice (Cobblers)
The Time Bandits
Groundhog Day

deletedT

Local time
I liked Next with Nicholas Cage. The end of the movie is not the ending I was expecting.

Next was one of those rare movies I stopped watching and quitted. The idea was great, but like all other Nicholas Cage's movies, it's too much for me. He is a One-Man-Army and not only escapes and not only he kills the terrorists and saves the girl, now he's looking for the nuclear device and all the FBI and police are just waiting without a positive move.

Thanks for suggesting.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sometimes when you want an over-the-top performance, Nicholas Cage is your guy. Understated and then overblown in the same scene, sometimes. But I kind of liked him in the movie City of Angels (1998; 114 min) with Meg Ryan. Only a 6.7 on IMDB, but one of his better roles, admittedly only marginally better.

Could be worse - you could have to look at Jim Carrey movies. Alll-Rightey then...

deletedT

Local time
@The_Doc_Man
Years ago, I watched City Of Angles because of Meg Ryan.
For me, If I watch one of Nicholas Cage's movies, it's like I've seen them all. Nothing changes except the story. The way he laughs, the way he smiles, the way he turns and walks away, or yells or cries or shrugs. It's a copy and paste. He has nothing new to offer for that specific role he's performing.
You will notice what I mean when you compare him to great actors.
Check the performance of Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man , Tootsie , The Graduate, Last Chance Harvey. He changes and fits to that role.
OR
See the difference between Scent of a Woman & Heat & Insomnia when Al Pacino plays them. You can't believe they are the same persons. Give these roles to Nicholas Cage and see what the result would be.

More recent example?
check Christian Bale 's act in The Machinist, The Fighter & Ford v Ferrari.
OR
Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby , Conviction, The Gift
OR
Natalie Portman in Black Swan & Jackie.

In case of Jim Carrey , well, he's a comedian and I don't watch comedy over all. The only comedy I enjoyed was his The Mask.
I mostly like him because of the messages that's hidden in his movies. I enjoyed and watched several of his movies 3 or 4 times: Liar Liar , The Truman Show , Man on the Moon , Yes Man & The Majestic

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom