Suggest a movie to watch (1 Viewer)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:06
The movie had several critical problems.
Not sure what you mean by that. I don't know how historically accurate the movie is, but as far as I know, the Portugese Catholic Church convinced these natives to convert to Christianity then turned their backs on them when coerced by the wealthy landowners and traders. It was they who attacked the natives, not the Church.

As for the music, you are close. I believe that the title(s) I was referring to are Gabrie's Oboe/The Waterfall from The Mission soundtrack. I borrowed the CD from the library once after hearing Yo Yo Ma play a version on the radio and I was captivated and those were the names given to the 2 tracks which just run into each other as if one tune. Here is Ennio himself conducting what I think is the best version of the music. You will hear the Vita Nostra part when the choir sings.
The confusion over the music I was referring to is that people I know or have met think that Nella Fantasia is an original song. It is the theme put to words.

deletedT

Local time
Today, 10:06
the Portugese Catholic Church convinced these natives to convert to Christianity then turned their backs on them when coerced by the wealthy landowners and traders. It was they who attacked the natives, not the Church.
I understood that. What remained as an unsolved puzzle, why a massacre was necessary?
Maybe I have to watch it one more time. I may have missed something.

Last edited:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
The missionaries were protected by Spanish law until a 1750 treaty transferred the land they were on into Portuguese rule. The Portuguese allowed slavery. The Spanish religious hierarchy ordered the missions to close down in order to avoid enslavement but they refused. The Portuguese were not going to allow missions for protecting natives that they could enslave. A joint Spanish and Portuguese force attacked in order to remove the mission. Whether or not their goal was to also enslave those missionary natives or simply eradicate the mission itself, I can't recall. Does that help?

deletedT

Local time
The missionaries were protected by Spanish law until a 1750 treaty transferred the land they were on into Portuguese rule. The Portuguese allowed slavery. The Spanish religious hierarchy ordered the missions to close down in order to avoid enslavement but they refused. The Portuguese were not going to allow missions for protecting natives that they could enslave. A joint Spanish and Portuguese force attacked in order to remove the mission. Whether or not their goal was to also enslave those missionary natives or simply eradicate the mission itself, I can't recall. Does that help?
Yes. thanks.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I enjoy 'The Fifth Element'. One crazy cast of characters. Some very unlikely situations. More comedy than action.
One of my all-time favourite films. The plot is great and the cast of characters generally just funny. And a pretty good soundtrack to boot.

Luc Besson has done a raft of really good films, and some not so great.
Léon was another real favourite.

Jean Reno is also one of my favourite actors.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:06
Maybe more because of Milla Jovovich 's dumb reactions for human's customs.

I have to admit a certain degree of lust for Milla. I'm an "eye" person and her eyes get to me. Ditto with Scarlett Johanssen. Adriana Lima also rivets my attention. I look at other things, don't get me wrong. But a beautiful pair of eyes will make me focus every time. In junior high, there was a young woman named "Gina" who had the most amazing ice-blue eyes. At the time there was an age difference and she already had a boyfriend. But I could have stared into those beautiful eyes for a long time.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I could have stared into those beautiful eyes for a long time.
because the eyes are the window unto the soul. It follows then, that we might equate beautiful eyes with inner beauty without realizing it.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:06
because the eyes are the window unto the soul. It follows then, that we might equate beautiful eyes with inner beauty without realizing it.
Thus why Liz Taylor was considered a very beautiful woman. I recently read a autobiography by Eddie Fisher. Her eyes definitely got his attention.

deletedT

Local time

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I thought about another movie it is kind of quirky. Murder by Death (1976). You have to know your mystery writer characters (from the 40's and 50's) or you will really be lost. I think I watched three times before I got a handle on most of the movie. Yes there a lot of bad jokes.

deletedT

Local time
I thought about another movie it is kind of quirky. Murder by Death (1976). You have to know your mystery writer characters (from the 40's and 50's) or you will really be lost. I think I watched three times before I got a handle on most of the movie. Yes there a lot of bad jokes.
I've watched that a long time ago and I really enjoyed it.
Thanks for suggesting.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Maybe this is a bit off topic but it has to do with movies. Momma is watching Con Air (Nicholas Cage has been discussed here and after watching snippets of CA as I'm on AWF I have to agree with those sentiments). Once again, I see something technically wrong with the action and I'm wondering how common this is among viewers. I think my problem (?) stems from being a truck mechanic for 25 years, dealing with all sorts of equipment, fuels and the like. I see so many things done in the movies and think "that could never happen". In this case, bad guy on top of a highjacked fire truck careening through the city turns the hose on the pursuing hero and blasts him with water. HELLO!! Fire truck would have to stop in order to engage the PTO in order to create water pressure! IF it was already engaged, because of the high speed chase the PTO would have grenaded by the time the nozzle was turned on.

Well, that's just one of hundreds of such technical faux pas that don't escape me. Drives my wife nuts!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:06
@Micron

The whole point of movies (other than documentaries) is to entertain. As is true with ALL fiction, some worse than others, you have to suspend your disbelief and skepticism because otherwise you just blew the price of admission. One of my favorite movies where this principle is in full force is True Lies - with horse stunts, helicopter stunts, pyrotechnics all over the place, and a harrier jump-jet sequence that is totally improbable. But here is where the point jumps in to full view.

If you only look at things with critical eyes, you can never enjoy imagination. You can't laugh at exaggerations. Yet it is Man's imagination that makes him soar above the clouds - first in fiction, but then in reality once he learns how to turn one into the other.

It was Man's imagination to have orbital satellites for communication (Arthur C. Clarke, e.g.). It was Man's imagination that we could communicate with a device that fit into the palm of your hand, but now I carry a clamshell style flip phone just like the one used in Star Trek except mine has more control buttons. It was Man's imagination to have music available in every home (Edward Bellamy in Looking Backwards, written in 1897), and now we have 40+ cable music channels on my low-end cable package.

What is that line from Prof. Tolkien's works? "This story has grown in the telling"? People tell fish stores about the "one that got away." They brag for vanity, or they exaggerate to make a humorous point. YES it is totally impossible for people to do the things they do in movies - but those impossible things become the stuff of dreams. Sometimes it is the totally impossible that makes some of the best movie watching. Who can forget that moment in the Chris Reeves Superman movie when the helicopter is about to crash and for the first time, we see the Man of Steel as he rescues Lois Lane and the chopper with that stirring John Williams score echoing in the background? One of the great moments in cinematic history. But if you can't suspend your disbelief, that's just a showy bit of special effects and some nice music ruined by a screaming woman.

It's all about viewpoint.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I see so many things done in the movies and think "that could never happen
Like when bullets spark? Lead is non ferrous metal along with the metals used in (most) bullet construction.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Well Doc, you are quite right about suspending your imagination, which I can do in a lot of cases. Would a spy know how to pilot a jet? Plausible.
Tires screeching on the beach sand? No. Every vehicle that goes over a cliff exploding like it has 50 pounds of C4 on it? No. Ever notice how the regular good guys go into a building with pistols, ball caps and short sleeves but the extras are in full riot gear with AR 15's'? I'd just like to see and hear less nonsense in cinema but the water thing was probably a bad example of what not to do.

Anyway, this might be a separate thread topic and maybe Tera won't appreciate me hijacking it.

deletedT

Local time
@Micron No as long as it’s a movie talk, I appreciate any kind of input.

@The_Doc_Man I think it’s the first time I‘m not with you and actually I think you are wrong.
I know what you mean about suspending disbeliefs. I’m with you as long as it’s a science fiction. I suspend my disbelief and accept the scene where a device can take you back to future. Your mobile or my car navigation system may be something that was used in a 007 movie long before any of them were invented. I enjoy watching Avatar and accept somewhere in far future a trip to another planet and live there and start killing the native inhabitant in a virtual shape is possible.

But you can not change the physics rules because it’s a movie.
You can not accept a movie scene where the actor drops something from a hight and instead of falling, it goes up. It’s against gravity and will NEVER happen in any future or any age. If you let go something, it falls off, it won’t go upward. What me and perhaps @Micron is saying, is not about imagination. It’s about impossibilities in action movies.
Search for Action movies that defies physics rules. What happens in recent action movies in not imagination, it’s a bunch of impossibilities that will never ever happen.

I’ve told it before and tell it again. Lies in movies are common but it depends on how a director offer the lie. ET is a fiction movie, but no matter how many times you watch it, you still find it interesting. Because the director shows a fiction and not something impossible. I’ve seen movies where the actor jumps from an airplane to another. No matter how deep you’re hypnotized and feel yourself in the scene, as soon as you see something like that, you wake up and think how is it possible at all. So an acceptable lie is different with an impossible action.

What you said about imagination and how it helped to have orbital satellite, they came true because they don’t break physics rules. Some movies laugh in the face of physics. How they may be a reality in future? John Matrix Plants Bombs Outside...Which Explode From The Inside (Commando). As a Navy man, do you think will it be possible at all?

Just when we thought the Fast and the Furious franchise couldn't get anymore ridiculous, director Justin Lin proves us wrong with sixth entry, which pushes the envelope even closer towards mayhem not far off what we'd expect to see in a cartoon. The scene in question has Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) sitting atop a tank which is catapulted over a freeway, sending her flying into the air, surely to her grisly demise when she impacts upon the freeway pavement. Dom (Vin Diesel), however, has different ideas, driving his car into a guardrail while sitting on top of it, catapulting him through the air, allowing him to catch Letty (who probably should have hit the pavement by now), and land on a passing car. Of course, suffers severe internal injuries despite flying through the air at an unimaginable speed and landing on a sheet of metal travelling who-knows-how-fast. And yet, it works.

Those who are interested, can sit and watch it as a cartoon.
For me, It’s not imagination. It’s a perfect nonsense. Some may enjoy watching it, but for sure not me, nor any movie lover.
That’s why a movie in this rank never find its way to a well known awards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom