Suppressing blank rows in a summary table (1 Viewer)

Binworkin

Local time
Today, 18:31
In the group and report footer I have a table of values in a structured tabular layout. There are 5 rows - sum of cost for Type 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. I used sum(iif([type]=1,[Type1_Cost),0)) etc and I used this formula for in each of the 5 rows for each of the columns I want to sum. It formats and looks ok however for each report section the costs are typically of only one type and so I end up with 3 or 4 zero rows in each footer section. Simple illustration below.

I would prefer if possible to provide the summary totals only for the cost types that exist in that section. Total cost is always the first row. In the footer section example below I would like to see the total Cost, Type 2 and Type 4 rows only. What are my options please.

thanks

Budget CostActual CostProjected CostVariance
Total Cost
10​
16​
20​
10​
Type 1
Type 2
5​
12​
5​
0​
Type 3
Type 4
5​
4​
8​
3​
Type 5

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:31
Hi. Try reducing the heights and set the Can Grow property to Yes.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:31
Don't select the data. Change your crosstab query so that it doesn't select rows with no value. If Type1 has no value for A, B, C, D, or E, no row will appear. If it has a value for one or more Projects, then the row will appear.

The problem is probably being caused because a ZLS is somehow being substituted for the Cost field. We'd need to see the crosstab and any underlying queries to point out the actual cause.

Binworkin

Local time
Today, 18:31
Thanks for the responses. I tried the row heights and can grow suggestion and since the values are $0 and not Null, and also have row names so I don't think it will work. In considering the second option using a cross tab, I realize I that my example data was not well represented. I have replaced the column headers with something better which I think rules out using cross tabs. I have tried some more queries & sub reports and there seems to be potential but alot of effort.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Looks to me like your type field ought to be just that - with values that represent a type rather than a field for each type.
Is the data based on a cross tab query, or is it based on simple select query or table with 5 fields - one for each type?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:31
Thanks for the responses. I tried the row heights and can grow suggestion and since the values are $0 and not Null, and also have row names so I don't think it will work. In considering the second option using a cross tab, I realize I that my example data was not well represented. I have replaced the column headers with something better which I think rules out using cross tabs. I have tried some more queries & sub reports and there seems to be potential but alot of effort.
Hi. If you're willing to post a sample db with test data, we can take a look and give it a try for you.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:31
perhaps you need a subform in the group and report footer to provide the totals?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Whether you are using crosstabs or not, use criteria in the query to select only the records you want or use criteria to exclude records you don't want.

Select ..
From ...
Where BudgetCost Is Not Null or ActualCost is Not Null or ProjectCost is Not Null;

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom