Solved @ Symbol in Field properties (1 Viewer)

cgala

Local time
Today, 05:33
Hi all,

I've inherited a database and many of the fields have an "@" in Field Properties > Format box.

In one case, the @ symbol was causing the Long Text to be truncated, but I haven't found any other issues with the @ symbol being present.

Does anyone know if the @ serves any particular purpose and if there would be any issues just deleting them all?

I'm using Access 2013.

Attachments

• at_symbol.png
    at_symbol.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 326

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 12:33
it means the Datatype is Variant.

cgala

Local time
Thanks! Just looked it up. However, I'm unsure why this would be added, when the DataType is already set as e.g. Short Text in the Data Type field (when in Design mode). Any idea?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:33
No it doesn't mean that.

In a text field it means display the characters. It is normally used with another part of the Format to change what is displayed for Null or ZLS. An @ by itself would be redundant. I didn't know that it cause the string to be truncated but I am not surprised.

cgala

Local time
No it doesn't mean that.

In a text field it means display the characters. It is normally used with another part of the Format to change what is displayed for Null or ZLS. An @ by itself would be redundant. I didn't know that it cause the string to be truncated but I am not surprised.
Cheers! That's Useful to know how it can control the display of Null values. I think I can safely remove the symbols from the rest of the fields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom