Table Help (1 Viewer)

WES9659

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:56
Once again I am calling out for help. I have attached a copy of entire data base I am creating. When you open database the first four tables
1 Basic Demographics
2-Cemetery
3 Veteran Information
4- Personalized Choices
are listed. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to connect these four tables so when I delete client from my (Parent) Basic Demographic table it reflects change and deletes information out on the other table. Secondly, I cannot figure out how to add one consistent Client number to each table. For example the Basic Client table says client number is 1006 then I can go to Veteran Information and see client data for 1006. I created some forms and started a Navigation page named Funeral Instruction Navigation also included in database. I want to thank everyone in advance for all their help in this process. I am learning this. Eventually I need to add in 3 more tables so I will need to know how to link those also. Also does anyone know how many columns an access data base 2010 allows? I also want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Attachments

• WES9659.zip
    224.9 KB · Views: 105

WES9659

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for your reply i will watch video and once again Season greetings

WES9659

Registered User.
Local time
thank you for your post I watched video and am more confused. I understand the concept of relationships but am confused more on what I need to name keys so they interact. I am also attaching a .mdb that someone said would be helpful. Once again thanks everyone for all your kindness and help Happy Holidays.

Attachments

• mdbfilesavewes9659.zip
    187.8 KB · Views: 106

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:56
When I looked at your mdb, most things were either misspelled or didn't exist according to the message from Access.

I would start with a data model, and there is a guide at
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/Tutorials/Entity_Relationship.zip it has a worked through example, and a set up for you to work through with your own data.

I don't follow this statement
I understand the concept of relationships but am confused more on what I need to name keys so they interact.
I think that the above link on ERD will remove much of your confusion. I sure hope so. Access will not create the relationships. You have to identify/build relationships based on your knowledge of the subject matter.

I realize you have done a lot of work on your database, without any relationships, which I would consider a first step in any design/project.

As an aside, but a common recommendation, avoid using names with embedded spaces or special characters. These will come back to haunt you in various syntax errors.

What is the purpose of prefixing some tables as 1.., 2..., 3...?

Good luck with your project.

WES9659

Registered User.
Local time
thanks for reply I only number tables to make them easier to find. However, I will remove spaces as far as spelling not sure what you mean there. I will review your link many thanks

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time

jeds

Registered User.
Local time
am confused more on what I need to name keys so they interact.

WES9659, here is a tutorial on relationships I found useful.
http://www.functionx.com/access/Lesson35.htm

Lesson 34 and 36 are also on relationships. What you name the primary and foreign keys does not determine how they interact, but the names can be useful to keep track of the relationships.

Part way down in the page I linked to you can see the relationships table which is one way to create relationships and is a good visual aid.

jeds

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom