Table Input Mask: Password (1 Viewer)

XelaIrodavlas

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:14
Hi all,

Can anyone explain to me how the Input Mask's work (field property within a table)? I'm trying to setup a table with Fields for a Username(txtUser) and Password (txtPwd), the latter of which I've setup with 'password' in it's Input Mask property. So all I see is a string of asterisks (*) hooray.

Except that isn't all I see...

Turns out it's possible to extract the password by querying the table elsewhere: If I call the password field directly with SELECT MyTable.txtPwd, it returns a string of asterisks as expected, but if I add a simple string to the query, SELECT "ShowMe: " & [txtPwd] AS Expr1 I get the result "ShowMe: BobsPassword!"

I can pull off the same trick in a form by setting a TextBox Control Source to = "ShowMe: " & [txtPwd]. Which all means if someone wanted to break in, they could simply create a new Access application, Link to the back-end database, find the table with the password information, and print off a list of everyone's passwords with a very simple query...

Clearly Input Masks aren't a good way to protect passwords, so what good are they? Feels like a red herring honestly.

Is there an alternative way to store / protect passwords?

All thoughts appreciated :D

Thanks,

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 19:14
Clearly Input Masks aren't a good way to protect passwords, so what good are they?
I think they're just good for "looking over someone's shoulder as they type" security. You might need to encrypt/decrypt the password. I think isladogs has a lot of material on that

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:14
Access databases are not secure so a lot of the "security" features are smoke and mirrors. If you are worried about data security, use SQL Server or some other RDBMS for the BE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom