Tables Missing

grnzbra

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:59
I have a database that has just been split. In the back end, I don't see the tables. I have gone to Tools>Options>View and found that Show Hidden Objects is checked. When I go to the front end, the links to the tables show up and I can open them and see the data. When I check the Linked Table Manager, I see that the path for the links is leading to the back end database.

I also noticed that on the bottom of the screen, the buttons for the front end show the name of the front end database and have blue page-like icons, but the button for the back end has only the pink key icon. Also, when I try to link another mdb to these tables, the window for selecting the table for linking is empty. I also notice that suddenly, any time I close an Access database, it goes through a compact and repair cycle. This just started happening today. I'm fairly sure that yesterday I could see the tables in the back end.

Oh, yes. Just remembered one other thing. Not everyone here has that location on the network mapped to the same drive. In order to accomodate everyone, the linked table manager was set up with the complete path to the folder:

\\companyname.com\folderlevel1\folderlevel2\folderlevel3\...\backend.mdb instead of
J:\.....

Using Windows XP and Office 2003

There is no verticle scroll bar as was mentioned in another post I found when doing a search on "Hidden Objects".

Any ideas where I should try next?

Last edited:
Compact on close is an option you can check from Tools/Options. You must have turned it on.

If the linked tables work, the database exists somewhere and that means that you are probably looking at the wrong database. It is hard to see the link path in the linked tables dialog so the best way to see the complete path is to go back to the Tools/Options dialog and check the box to show system objects. Then in the table MSysObjects, scroll down until you find your linked tables. You can expand the size of the field so you can see the complete path to the database.

Hi grnzbra,

I have a question?

\\companyname.com\folderlevel1\folderlevel2\folder level3\...\backend.mdb instead of
J:\.....

Are you able to open this file, manually going down its network path from your pc?

Robert88

Yes. Everything behaves as it should. Looked at the MSys table. The links are the same as they had been. It is set to compact on close. Removing that check did nothing. If I create a new database and link to a table with the same name as a table in the db that shows no tables, I can then link to it from the Linked Table manager by typing in the entire path. I can even create a new table in the database. I just can't see the tables that are there. I know about the Show Hidden Objects selection. I was wondering if there is some other selection that would show them. The big problem this presents (other than linking to the back end when an modification is made on the mde front end) is one of the existing tables needs another field. I could create the table again (It will now have only three fields), but I'm afraid that the same people who, in their infinite wisdom are trying to protect me from myself, will delete the new table when they see it.

Last edited:
Hello Grznzbra,

I have just encountered the same problem - the apparently invisible tables, from which the database continues to draw information. My situation is slightly different in that the linked tables are not visible in the front end. However, it has had a diasasterous effect, in that when i compact and repair it, a message says the database isn't really a database and that it can't find a table named "msyscompacterror" - which doesn't seem to exsit in any other database either?

Did you ever get the rogue tables to return? Or figure out what had happened?

Anna

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom