Temp Query?? (1 Viewer)

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:34
Hey all, I was thiking can i make a blank query and then on my filtered form. Pass the data from the selected fields(VIA a ceckbox) and then display a report based on that query? Then have the query cleared for the next time?? Is this possible? Thanks in advance for any help!

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 06:04
The best approach will kind of depend on the complexity of the options. How many options do you want the user to have?

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
options as?? I would like the user to have the ability to create a report on the fly. I have no idea how to do this. I though of a report wizard?? check boxes to tanser data into a table/query and create a report based on that query/table. Can I create a blank query/table for this? i have no idea really. I just want to have the ability to allow my user to select the different fields from a filtered form and create a report based on the selections made. How to do this i dont know.

KenHigg

Local time
I have found that sometimes it's best to just have an export to xls routine the user can run that includes all the flds, maybe limited on a date range. Then they can crunch in Excel to their hearts content...

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
I have found that sometimes it's best to just have an export to xls routine the user can run that includes all the flds, maybe limited on a date range. Then they can crunch in Excel to their hearts content...

Hi Ken,

I recommended that earlier ;)

I would say that's one of the areas where Access is weakest, the ability to create reports on the fly. Its definitely something I wouldn't attempt.

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
The excel was already presented to my people and it is not what they are looking for at all. Thanks

KenHigg

Local time
I suppose you could do a wizard type report/export utility, but it would be more than I would recommend a newbie tackle... :)

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
So what would that deal with a report/export utility??

KenHigg

Local time
Hum...

The basic flow would be something like; User selects the flds the want from a list. Then they enter what criteria they want on each fld.

If it got much more complex than that, I'd tell them they weren't being realistic. Much more and the end user may as well do their own reporting by attaching to the source tables and building the reports in Access...

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
yeah that is an idea. what do you mean but they would enter what criteria they want on each field??

KenHigg

Local time
I'm not sure what flds you have, but say if you're doing a report that has a date fld, you may want to limit the records in the report based on the date range fld...

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
yeah I would like to do that! but this will use the records contained in my table correct?? not the ones that are on my form!

KenHigg

Local time
Yes. The first thing you should understand is how to build a sql statement and then how to use the selections in a list box to build a sql statment string.

This alone will allow you to do limited (or should I say 'non-limited' :) ) dynamic queries...

After that, I really don't have an 'off the top of my head' suggestion on how to do the criteria stuff...

Hope this helps...

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
NewfieSarah said:
yeah I would like to do that! but this will use the records contained in my table correct?? not the ones that are on my form!

Again a form does not have records. The table or query bound to the form has the records.

As to not trying to build on the fly reports see my answer int he other thread.

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
yes I know that. but I the forms objects are linked to my table, and when I open my other forms then the controls then contains filtered data what is within the table. This is the data that I would like to use in my report.

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Then you need to use the table or query that the form is bound to. Applying any filters from the form.

KenHigg

Local time
Scott, Maybe you simply build 'em a down & dirty demo .mdb :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom