Text Box Font Not Sticking After Change (1 Viewer)

JMongi

Local time
Today, 09:49
I saw this the other day on another forum. Now it's happening to me. On my text box labels, if I select them and change the font, it changes. Save Form. Reopen Form. Font has reverted to pre-saved state. It WAS happening to my text boxes too. I thought I figured it out by carefully changing the font type and saving. But maybe it was just a coincidence because its not working on these labels now. Thoughts?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:49
Just tried it, and it didn't happen to me. What is your system configuration? Are there any code running that could be changing the fonts?

Maybe you try creating a new blank form and do some testing with that. You could also try a new blank database file.

JMongi

Local time
Configuration: Windows 10, Microsoft 365
Code: I don't think so. There is limited code in this form at the moment.
It's isolated to just this form. So I suppose something COULD be corrupted. I didn't create a blank form, but I did open a different form and it edits just fine.

Now, it will show Font #1 in design view and Font #2 in forms view. Strange.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:49
i can't replicate this either. In case its relevant, which Access version and bitness are you using? If Access 365, which monthly version & build?

JMongi

Local time
Microsoft 365 Apps for business
64 Bit, Version 2101 (Build 13628.20274 Click-to-Run)

And just to head off any potential 64 vs 32 debate...Microsoft officially recommends installing 64 bit Office now and that's what our contracted IT company installs on new installations.

It doesn't seem replicatable (word?).

JMongi

Local time
I just created a new database. Imported the form and editing is working.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:49
OK. I just updated A365 to exactly the same version as you. Also 64-bit.
I still can't replicate this issue

EDIT: posts crossed again - are you saying its now fixed for you?

JMongi

Local time
Yes, and no. LOL
Ok, here's what happened.
1. I tried importing the form to a separate new database, removed the recordset, changed the font. It works and sticks.
2. I then reimport that same imported form back into the original database to see if it had been fixed. No dice. Actually opened up with the old font after import.
3. I decide to try the format painter to paint the formatting of textboxes on my forms onto the labels. They change. They STICK! Then they don't. So I've had it stick for a minute, close reopen, stick, close reopen, no stick. So weird.

Font #1 is TW Cen MT and Font #2 is Calibri

Using the format painter seems to "fix" it temporarily.

JMongi

Local time
Also, the color and boldness seem to be sticking now, but the font type itself is still wonky. So, it seems like some type of deep microsoft formatting thing that however the format painter worked seems to "Fix" some of the attributes, but something else is still got its fingers in the font type.

JMongi

Local time
This seems to be similar to this issue. This is also happening for me with unbound labels that I cut and pasted from the detail part of the form to the header because I was creating a continuous form. My next step is to delete and recreate the problematic labels.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:49
This seems to be similar to this issue. This is also happening for me with unbound labels that I cut and pasted from the detail part of the form to the header because I was creating a continuous form. My next step is to delete and recreate the problematic labels.
You might go as far as creating a new form from scratch, if needed.

JMongi

Local time
Indeed. While it seems hard to replicate, it does seem more than coincidence the problem in the thread I posted and the one here. We are both newer users so I wonder if there is a system setting we have on that most have off or some other best practice that hides or alleviates this behavior. For example, I can't remember if I started this database with use windows themes off or if I turned it off after I had already started development.

JMongi

Local time
So, I've identified a few things for those trying to replicate this issue. I was just putting together a report and it started to occur again. So, a couple of things to note:
1. The labels were located in the Report Header section.
2. The issue didn't start happening until I changed the font color.

It had let me change the font type and "stuck" just fine for a while. When I went back and changed the font color from that standard charcoal gray that access used to black is when it started doing the font type switcheroo.

JMongi

Local time
Ok, I've identified something else I think. I tried a variety of colors without issue. Once I selected black as the color, that's when the issue started again. It also explains why I hadn't seen it before now. My other forms used various blues and grays for labels and headers.

Edit: I went back and test it with the other form that was giving me problems and it holds true. Changing the font color to something other than black has eliminated the font type switcheroo issue. I've closed the db down, reopened it and reload the forms and reports a bunch of times with no issues when the color is not black.

Last edited:

JMongi

Local time
Ok. I just tried this in a new database and was able to replicate it. I've attached it here. Here are the steps:
1. Create new DB.
2. Go to settings and turn off use windows themes for controls as is often recommended.
3. Create a test table with a few fields. SAVE
4. Create a blank form. SAVE
5. Use the "Fonts" dropdown under themes and select Tw Cen MT.
6. View Form Header
7. Insert Label in Form Header
8. Type a label name that includes an uppercase M so you can check for the font change easily.
9. View your form. It should have the TW Cen MT font.
10. Go back to design view.
11. Change the font type to Calibri.
12. View form. It should show Calibri.
13. Design View. Change font color to black.
14. View form. It should show as TW Cen MT font now.

So, it appears it's an issue with that fonts dropdown menu and/or themes. Windows SHOULD automatically default to a "custom" theme once you start manually adjust font types, etc. Selecting the "custom" font theme myself seems to have fixed the problem in all forms and reports its been happening in. I don't remember messing with the font theme in the past, but, there it is.

Attachments

• TestDB.accdb
    412 KB · Views: 249

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom