Today, 04:47
Hello guys,

I have not been on here in a while.

I have a issue I am trying to solve.

I have data in a database that is formatted like this:
yyyy/mm/dd ...in text format

So I did this:
Code:
DateSerial(Left([VACY_CONTE.INIT_PREM_EFF_DATE],4),Mid([VACY_CONTE.INIT_PREM_EFF_DATE],5,2),Right([VACY_CONTE.INIT_PREM_EFF_DATE],2))

Which works fine...but when I try to filter on that information I get data mismatch.....??

I tried VAL() tried DateValue() tried Cdate()....nothing is working....what am I missing????:banghead:

Any Ideas??

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 03:47
Pretty certain not all of your data is formatted like you say--or its null or it has improper values (2017/02/31).

I would reconfigure your expression to generate a string that puts your data into a mm/dd/yyyy format, let's call that field DateTest. Save that query as TestQuery then use this SQL to find your culprit:

Code:
SELECT DateTest, IsDate(DateTest)
FROM TestQuery
WHERE IsDate(DateTest)=False

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 01:47
What type of field is VACY_CONTE.INIT_PREM_EFF_DATE? If it is declared as a DATE, you should not have to worry about how it is formatted as internally it is stored as a DECIMAL.

How are you trying to filter against it?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Mark_, technically a DATE is a typecast of a DOUBLE, not a DECIMAL.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
@Doc,

Thanks, I'll try and remember.

P.S. Terse post for you... :)

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
On my machine the CDate() function accurately converts a string date formatted "yyyy/mm/dd" into a VBA.Date. More specifically, I can do this in the immediate pane and get this result...
Code:
? cdate("2018/03/09")
3/9/2018 
? typename(cdate("2018/03/09"))
Date
But your post is not clear. You say you are not able to "filter on that information, you get a type mismatch," but it's not clear what kind of filtering you are applying. Are you setting the filter property of a form? If so, show your form's RecordSource and the text of the filter you are applying. Are you writing a SQL WHERE clause? If so, show your SQL.
hth
Mark

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:47
Save the query and make another query based on the one u saved. Use the later query and you can now filter on it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
when I try to filter on that information I get data mismatch

What EXACTLY are you using for a filter and what is the data type of the field you are attempting to use as the basis of the filter? I'm thinking that NONE of those things you mentioned should have a problem converting the date, BUT there is the issue that a filter string is a type of WHERE clause (without the word WHERE) and is therefore subject to SQL syntax rules on sub-clauses. The type mismatch might not be in the conversion of your string date to a date, but rather the next step - using said date as a filter. At least that is what it "smells like" to me.

gmatriix

Registered User.
Local time
What type of field is VACY_CONTE.INIT_PREM_EFF_DATE? If it is declared as a DATE, you should not have to worry about how it is formatted as internally it is stored as a DECIMAL.

How are you trying to filter against it?

This is a text field ...unfortunately....So I am trying to rearrange in the actual date format so that I can use the data to filter..

gmatriix

Registered User.
Local time
Pretty certain not all of your data is formatted like you say--or its null or it has improper values (2017/02/31).

I would reconfigure your expression to generate a string that puts your data into a mm/dd/yyyy format, let's call that field DateTest. Save that query as TestQuery then use this SQL to find your culprit:

Code:
SELECT DateTest, IsDate(DateTest)
FROM TestQuery
WHERE IsDate(DateTest)=False

Yes...you are right! I think that is why I am getting the error....it was weird because I would run on query with a date....then changed the date and I would get a data mismatch....I was like...huh???

That make sense....what is the best way to right this?

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 10:47
Only for finding the problem, create a new "Make Table" query, and put that into it, then look if the dates is okay, (also look at the table in design view it the field actually is created as a date type field).
DateSerial(Left([VACY_CONTE.INIT_PREM_EFF_DATE],4),Mid([VACY_CONTE.INIT_PREM_EFF_DATE],5,2),Right([VACY_CONTE.INIT_PREM_EFF_DATE],2))

gmatriix

Registered User.
Local time
Only for finding the problem, create a new "Make Table" query, and put that into it, then look if the dates is okay, (also look at the table in design view it the field actually is created as a date type field).

Yeah....thanks....I did do that and found that there are errors...Now I am trying to write this so I don't get error.....

Open for Ideas...

Thanks

gmatriix

Registered User.
Local time
Thank guys!

You guys are awesome!

My data was the problem. There was some data in the record that was not good...so it threw it off....Once I accounted for the bad data...it worked just fine...

Thanks again!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom