The 3 Different Relationship Types (1 Viewer)

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 04:17
Take a look at the demo database in this download on my website. It is designed as Pat says, with two main forms and two subforms, one for each side of the many-to-many relationship. Depending one which direction you want to start from, you can select either the artist (main form) and their recordings (subform), or the Song (main form) and the artists who recorded that song (subform). Obviously the two subforms are both bound to the junction table, but designed slightly differently.
Thanks, i will look at it.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:17
^^^^
On the basis that I still work mainly in A2003, and everything runs fine on A365 etc.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:17
Code from A97 and later should work OK because Windows NT came out in 1993. It was that version of Windows that radically changed task structure and interface structure to the current layout that began to emphasize .DLL files that used memory management techniques for code isolation and such. Of course, library-file changes have also occurred since then, but as long as .MDB compatibility is retained, everything should be reasonably usable with future versions of Office. Anything from a version of Access before WinNT? Questionable at best. Fortunately, there weren't that many versions of Access prior to A97 - because it was only introduced in 1992.

Part of the problems in the early days of Access included bugs because with WinNT, the computer memory model changed drastically (with respect to size of / range of addresses) and A95 couldn't handle large-memory models. The "2 GB limit" was even worse because physical memory often played a part in their bugs. Virtualization of memory was very different prior to WinNT so big DBs were awkward at best. NOT impossible. Just more awkward. (Do you know the old Navy term "blivet" - 10 pounds of crap in a 5-pound sack?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom