The Best Way to Learn a Foreign Language (1 Viewer)

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:36
Interesting that the entire world uses "English" as a near universal language - and it is American English in the majority of instances. So it appears when Britian lost the war, they also lost the language. Too bad.
At least we went on to become a civilised nation and you lot better start learning Chinese:rolleyes:

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Yesterday, 21:36
At least we went on to become a civilised nation and you lot better start learning Chinese:rolleyes:

To that I can only say "God Save The Queen", whatever that means. Blimey, you blokes are a daft lot. :eek:

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Here is an aid for any not-Brits reading this thread, in case you would like to find out what they are saying:

http://www.translatebritish.com/dictionary.php

Blooming nora, they are bloody-well arsed, aren't they?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Interesting that the entire world uses "English" as a near universal language - and it is American English in the majority of instances. So it appears when Britian lost the war, they also lost the language. Too bad.

It would be useful then, to the rest of the world, if you could pronounce words correctly. Try pronouncing words with a double "t" as a double "t" and not a "d".

As in "better" not "bedder" or "Beatles" not "Beadles". The statue of "Liberdy"? Uhhh - it makes me cringe when I hear Americans speak.
We have one doing our local TV weather forecast, I understand it to be true that many people have complained because he cannot pronounce words correctly. Personally, I turn over the channel if he comes on.

Oh, and can you try spelling "Britain" correctly, it makes you look a bit of a prat when you can't even do that.

Col

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
It would be useful then, to the rest of the world, if you could pronounce words correctly. Try pronouncing words with a double "t" as a double "t" and not a "d".

As in "better" not "bedder" or "Beatles" not "Beadles". The statue of "Liberdy"? Uhhh - it makes me cringe when I hear Americans speak.
We have one doing our local TV weather forecast, I understand it to be true that many people have complained because he cannot pronounce words correctly. Personally, I turn over the channel if he comes on.

Oh, and can you try spelling "Britain" correctly, it makes you look a bit of a prat when you can't even do that.

Col

Really? It would be less effort if you merely changed the channel instead of turning it over. I think perhaps you have a floater in your dinges over the terrible humiliations your country suffered in the 18th, 19th and 20th century. Must be tough losing an empire and embarrassing to still support a royal family who are mere figureheads. By the way, while we are prattling on, can you explain the Brits extreme lack of fashion sense and their aversion to dentistry? I have long been curious about that.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Really? It would be less effort if you merely changed the channel instead of turning it over. I think perhaps you have a floater in your dinges over the terrible humiliations your country suffered in the 18th, 19th and 20th century. Must be tough losing an empire and embarrassing to still support a royal family who are mere figureheads. By the way, while we are prattling on, can you explain the Brits extreme lack of fashion sense and their aversion to dentistry? I have long been curious about that.
Better our royal family than a lying cheating president like Richard Nixon

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
You got me there, Rabbie. Or a cowboy like King George of the U.S. But poor Col would have never arrived that that brilliant comeback.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Don't forget the outstanding George W Bush. If ever you need a lesson in how to look after your own interests and make millions in the process, or to start a war and screw up the world balance - he's your man.

The British Royal family earn millions in tourism, mainly off of the Yanks and Japanese. If the US populace feel the same way as you, then why do they come here to spend their tax fiddled dollars?
Prince Charles does not draw from the civil list and the Queen (God Bless Her) has made cost cutting savings in the Royal household especially on expenses.

Anyway, this discussion is pointless - childish tit-for-tat.

To get back to the topic, learning correct English by living and working in the country is an excellent way to learn - and if you want a pigeon type English, then the USA is good for that. But don't expect people outside the USA to understand what you say.

Col

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Let be known to all concerned that I have high regard for the English people and government. Recent comments by me were tongue-in-cheek in response to friendly (I hope) anti-American comments. In no way were they meant to offend. In regards to the language, however, I will venture to say that there is NO "correct" English. Even the English have a hard time understanding many of their own countrymen (countrypeople?). Dialects creep in no matter how large or small the population. Take a look at Ireland. It is a small island with a smallish population, but there are at least 4 distinct dialects of English spoken. If you get into Gaeilge (Irish Gaelic) then there are at least three dialects of that. "Language is a social phenomenon. In America — as anywhere — it’s shaped by contact, conflict and incredible cultural complexity." according to noted linguisitics professor Dennis Baron. And because it is a social phenomena subject to influences of new cultures, technologies, fads and a host of other things, it is always changing, adapting, evolving. And so I offer that the English spoken in London is no more "pure" or "correct" than English spoken in Boston, New York, San Francisco or Topeka. They are all English.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Chipper is talking a lot of sense in that a dynamic modern language such as English will continue to evolve. There was a Professor involved in University entrance selection on the Tele recently who suggested that in the future txtspeak would become acceptable as a whole generation would have grown up using it.

I have no objection to the americanisation of the language, color makes more sense than colour but I do prefer traveller to traveler, but I suppose that is because I'm used to it, and why must we retain the French way of ending so many words, I remember a guide in Spain saying that he must remember not to say center but centre (with an emphasis on the r ) as we were English, I think that says it all.

Brian

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Let be known to all concerned that I have high regard for the English people and government. Recent comments by me were tongue-in-cheek in response to friendly (I hope) anti-American comments. In no way were they meant to offend. In regards to the language, however, I will venture to say that there is NO "correct" English. Even the English have a hard time understanding many of their own countrymen (countrypeople?). Dialects creep in no matter how large or small the population. Take a look at Ireland. It is a small island with a smallish population, but there are at least 4 distinct dialects of English spoken. If you get into Gaeilge (Irish Gaelic) then there are at least three dialects of that. "Language is a social phenomenon. In America — as anywhere — it’s shaped by contact, conflict and incredible cultural complexity." according to noted linguisitics professor Dennis Baron. And because it is a social phenomena subject to influences of new cultures, technologies, fads and a host of other things, it is always changing, adapting, evolving. And so I offer that the English spoken in London is no more "pure" or "correct" than English spoken in Boston, New York, San Francisco or Topeka. They are all English.

I look like Austin Powers and I have been rather offended by your remarks.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 00:36

Yes, but if you want to hear English in its most elegant form, you must go to Texas.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Even the English have a hard time understanding many of their own countrymen (countrypeople?).

Too right old chap. Try understanding someone from Newcastle / Birmingham or Liverpool. It's hard to believe they inhabit the same island.

Correct English is spoken in the home counties around the M4 / M25.

Brian is right about Spanish - Castillian Spanish (spoken in most of Spain), is different from South American Spanish.
Catalan of course (from the north east of Spain) is totally different.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:36
And because it is a social phenomena subject to influences of new cultures, technologies, fads and a host of other things, it is always changing, adapting, evolving. And so I offer that the English spoken in London is no more "pure" or "correct" than English spoken in Boston, New York, San Francisco or Topeka. They are all English.

True, ChipperT. It's what we get for speaking a language that isn't dead yet.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Uhhh - it makes me cringe when I hear Americans speak.

Col

Brilliant news!!!! It seems my (and many other) letters to the BBC have won the day, the Yank doing the weather has been removed, we now have an English young lady doing it. No doubt the ratings dropped every time the Yank came on.

Col

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 00:36
Brilliant news!!!! It seems my (and many other) letters to the BBC have won the day, the Yank doing the weather has been removed, we now have an English young lady doing it. No doubt the ratings dropped every time the Yank came on.

Col

Yes, we can't have someone making sence on British news programs.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Yes, we can't have someone making sence on British news programs.

We also need someone who can spell correctly.. . . . . .(sence?)

I don't think it was the fact he couldn't predict the weather, it was the way he pronounced the words e.g., "weatherwise, it will be a bedder day tomorrow" ugggh how awful it must be to speak like that.

Anyway he's gone now so that's all over.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom