THe dreaded #Name? is ruining my form!!!! (1 Viewer)

chrisjames25

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:58
Hi All. Been pulling my hair out today and just cant see what doing wrong. I have a mainfomr with a subform.

THe subform is populated once i click a command button in the mainform and the subform is based on a qry that looks at an input in a textbox on the mainform.

SO far so good. I open the form, i choose some sales data and press a command button and the data neatly populates. Perfect.

Once finished with the data I click another commnad button which clears the txtbox from the mainform and refreshes the subform.

Code:
            Me.Txt_SalesOrderNo = ""
            'Me.Txt_SalesOrderNo.Value = vbNullString

Me.Frm_SubPotting.Requery

It is at this point that i have the problem. I want the subform to now reset to no data but instead of no data I get rows of controls saying #Name? instead. Image attached.

I beleive it may be down to my query design and in particular the way i look at the control from the mainform but im not 100% sure.

Attached is also a copy of what the query design looks like.

As ever any help massively appreciated. Currently having to close and reopen form everytime which isnt ideally and user friendly.

Attachments

• FOrm Error.JPG
    FOrm Error.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Qry Design.JPG
    Qry Design.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 32

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi All. Been pulling my hair out today and just cant see what doing wrong. I have a mainfomr with a subform.

THe subform is populated once i click a command button in the mainform and the subform is based on a qry that looks at an input in a textbox on the mainform.

SO far so good. I open the form, i choose some sales data and press a command button and the data neatly populates. Perfect.

Once finished with the data I click another commnad button which clears the txtbox from the mainform and refreshes the subform.

Code:
            Me.Txt_SalesOrderNo = ""

It is at this point that i have the problem. I want the subform to now reset to no data but instead of no data I get rows of controls saying #Name? instead. Image attached.

I beleive it may be down to my query design and in particular the way i look at the control from the mainform but im not 100% sure.

Attached is also a copy of what the query design looks like.

As ever any help massively appreciated. Currently having to close and reopen form everytime which isnt ideally and user friendly.
Hi Chris
Are you able to upload a copy of the database?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:58
What does the code for your first button look like? If it has something like this:

Me.SubformControlName.SourceObject = "something"

Then your second button could have something like this:

Me.SubformControlName.SourceObject = null

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
not in a position to confirm but suggest try

Me.Frm_SubPotting.Form.Requery

other questions

is me.Txt_SalesOrderNo bound or unbound? I would expect the latter, but if bound, what is the datatype of the field it is bound to?

and why are you using eval in your query criteria?

and what is the datatype of salesorderID you are applying the criteria to? implication is it is numeric in which case you are then trying to compare to a string in your query - and the eval function will generate an error for a zls anyway.

1707405500620.png

ebs17

Local time
Today, 17:58
My thoughts:

?? Me.Txt_SalesOrderNo = ""
I wouldn't assign text to a number, but rather a number or NULL (the database can handle NULL excellently).
Me.Txt_SalesOrderNo = Null

As a criterion in the query
?? Eval(Forms!...)
? Eval("") --- produces a crucial error

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:58
Whenever you get the dreaded "#name" error, you have spelled something wrong OR you have incorrectly qualified where it is. From the exhibit where ALL of the columns show #name, I suspect that you are trying to reference something from the wrong place. One column of #name would be spelling. Multiple columns? Location errors.

chrisjames25

Registered User.
Local time
HI All, thanks for so many helpful responses. Blows my mind how helpful this forum is.

The solution came by
What does the code for your first button look like? If it has something like this:

Me.SubformControlName.SourceObject = "something"

Then your second button could have something like this:

Me.SubformControlName.SourceObject = null
Hi. Thanks for this. I tried making this switch and used this code
Code:

And it now works a treat. Superstar.

chrisjames25

Registered User.
Local time
My thoughts:

?? Me.Txt_SalesOrderNo = ""
I wouldn't assign text to a number, but rather a number or NULL (the database can handle NULL excellently).

As a criterion in the query
?? Eval(Forms!...)
? Eval("") --- produces a crucial error
Thanks also the null switch worked perfectly.

chrisjames25

Registered User.
Local time
not in a position to confirm but suggest try

Me.Frm_SubPotting.Form.Requery

other questions

is me.Txt_SalesOrderNo bound or unbound? I would expect the latter, but if bound, what is the datatype of the field it is bound to?

and why are you using eval in your query criteria?

and what is the datatype of salesorderID you are applying the criteria to? implication is it is numeric in which case you are then trying to compare to a string in your query - and the eval function will generate an error for a zls anyway.

View attachment 112471
I'll be honest I'm not sure why i am using a Eval. I think i was stuck last week getting the query to work and i saw on a forum page page that it was something to do with the format needing to be a string so it recommended using the eval. WHen i used the eval my eval worked as i wanted.

Sadly in access with my knowledge I dont alwasy understand what I have done but am happy it has solved a problem. I do keep trying to learn though which is the main thing ;)

Remembered why i used eval - it was because i needed to run an update qry on the above qry and it wouldnt run as found no results. But when switched to using eval it did. NOt sure why but remember that is why i was searching the forum.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:58
HI All, thanks for so many helpful responses. Blows my mind how helpful this forum is.

The solution came by

Hi. Thanks for this. I tried making this switch and used this code
Code:

And it now works a treat. Superstar.
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom