The FE BE argument for multiple users cannot be used in this problem (1 Viewer)

ptaylor-west

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:21
My new DB is shared by several users and although I had no intial problems I'm now having problems with more than one person opening and using the DB which is on a network drive. I know the simplest way round this is to split the DB but I don't want to put FE's onto each users computer because I am still accommodating their wish lists and changing adding forms/reports etc.

So it would be a real problem in distributing the FE each time - at the moment I simply tell people to come out of the DB for 5 mins so I can apply the updates. I cannot recall having this problem with past databases, this one is not complex by any means its just a few tables/queries/forms and two report.

Your advice and guidance would be welcomed.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 23:21
Actually you can give them each a copy of the front end, work on a front end master and then have their front end actually update itself. I put together a program to enable your front end to do autoupdating. See the link here to download the access database that enables your front end for autoupdating:
http://downloads.btlarson.com/AWF/Samples/Access_Front-End_AutoUpdating_Utility_rev01-02-2007.zip
and go here for more info on it:
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=111132

Last edited:

ptaylor-west

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:21
Excellent advice and the updating utility is really good, I also found in another post that under the Netware properties there is an attributes section with the option to make the file Sharable. Once I clicked it should let my users to access the file at the same time, but I can't check on that till I get in tommowrrow. But the updating faciltity is a definite reource I will use in the future.

Many thanks - scales have been tilted appropriately!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Bob, as an FYI your first link doesn't work (for me anyway), but of course the file is available from the second.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Paul:
I fixed the problem with the above link. That one is the most current (with the changes suggested by OldSoftBoss and others) as I haven't been able to get SJ to answer my request to post the updated version in the other link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom