The future of Access (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:32
Why is the assumption that an app must always be web enabled?

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 02:32
its a wrong assumption, but it is because the earliest apps that allowed for data storage used online database, until recently when offline databases like SQLite that allows for offline storage came on board

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:32
Access is in the unenviable position of having a popular product with a niche market and they can't easily replace it. In fact, it is probably why Access 64-bit didn't take advantage of extra addressing space. First, the re-write costs would be incredible. Second, It would be incredibly embarrassing for them to have a product that could seriously compete with SQL Server in terms of capacity.
I would have thought it enviable, rather than unenviable.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:32
Access is in the unenviable position of having a popular product with a niche market and they can't easily replace it. In fact, it is probably why Access 64-bit didn't take advantage of extra addressing space. First, the re-write costs would be incredible. Second, It would be incredibly embarrassing for them to have a product that could seriously compete with SQL Server in terms of capacity.
I meant to respond to this at the time you posted last year but have been prompted by the last post by @gemma-the-husky .
MS still have enabling large address awareness (LAA) listed in their 365 roadmap though again delayed for another year

I have used the LAA enabling code provided by Philipp Stiefel with significant success. See The /LARGEADDRESSAWARE (LAA) flag - Remedy for out-of-memory errors - Codekabinett

Enabling LAA will allow certain actions demanding large processing capacity to run faster or succeed when they currently fail.
However it will have no effect on the maximum total size of Access files. It will in no way impact on SQL Server

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom