The storms arrived... (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 22:03
I'm kicking myself as I have the backup addin installed and *thought* they were being backed up in AlwaySync as well, but I'd left that job off the batch. :(

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I've got the same problem (sort of). I moved the location of the pst files and 'relinked' when I next opened outlook. Now I have two profiles for the same email, inbound emails go to one, outbound to the other. Not sure what I've done wrong.....
Depends on the windows or outlook version;
Try copying the PST files somewhere else as a backup and then delete all the profiles/accounts in outlook. Restart then add the account you want back in, and if required import the PST file.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Jon, get a gas cooker.

Col

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
No gas out here in the sticks. One of my neighbours has a barbeque which she only uses in winter when the power goes down.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've got a gas bbq outside but I'm worried my steak might fly off in the wind.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have 8% battery left. Whatever did I do before technology appeared? (And power for that matter!)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I thought that people "in the sticks" either had calor gas or a generator.

Col

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I thought that people "in the sticks" either had calor gas or a generator.

Col

We have oil heating and a calor gas BBQ as a backup for when it snows!.
So far still no power cuts here ....whereas where I used to live at the edge of the Mendips has been cut off for several hours today

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:03
I can tell you from personal experience that big storms are nothing to treat lightly.

When I was a child, Hurricane Betsy flooded streets in New Orleans to a depth of 8+ feet in some areas.

During that storm we had a sycamore tree fall and almost crashed into the house. Only a combination of lucky circumstances prevented it from doing so, but it was leaning over at about a 35-40 degree angle and its top limbs were directly over the peak of the roof. I remember helping my father hand-saw the branches from the top down so that we could eventually clear away the debris and prevent further damage. All we lost there was a window or two, but because it hit the power line on the side of the house, we had to wait for an electrician to come by and fix that connection for us. Took 13 days and Mom was absolutely frustrated.

Hurricane Camille missed us because it veered at the last moment. However, when we went to visit our family two weeks later, we could see many clusters of northern pine (tall, straight trunk) that had been bent over and the trunks were splintered. I'm told that the crews cleaning the fallen trees from the side of the road (what we call the road's right of way) took six months because so many trees were damaged or destroyed.

But then, there was Hurricane Katrina. The Navy had me evacuate with my family to Ft. Worth Texas the Sunday before it was projected to make landfall on Monday. When we got home a month later, we learned that the flood waters had stayed in place for 3 weeks due to pump damage. It took us 14+ months to live in the house again including a total renovation of the ground floor to remove all dry wall (no longer dry) and insulation (soaked for 6 or 7 feet due to capillary action). The carpets and floors were sodden wrecks. I lost a huge library of books (fiction AND music).

The part that hit me hardest visually was that on one of the main avenues in our area, trees had been uprooted because the ground had gotten so soaked (and thus so soft) that huge trees just fell over. Some beautiful trees were gone that my grandson (only had one at the time) would never see when he grew up. Don't know why that hit me and other things didn't. A touch of shock, perhaps.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Power off for over 20 hours now. House is cold, all my devices were on near 0% battery and according to the website we have to wait another 12 hours before they estimate power will be restored.

Currently sitting in my cafe recharging all my devices. That feels good! It's warmer in here too. Going to do a log fire later - old school! When I did the loyalty points on my phone at the coffee shop, I had 1% battery left. I managed to blip the device! I think I will be living out of here today!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Good luck, Jon. Here's hoping you can get your power back soon. I know how hard the power utility folks work because I have a cousin who is an electric lineman for Alabama Power. They have reciprocal agreements with many neighboring states. Cousin D. has gone as far northeast as North Carolina and as far southwest and Lafayette in Louisiana. (He discovered "true" Cajun gumbo in that visit and swears he will never eat the canned product again.) But he has told me some horror stories about the devastation he has seen.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It was a bit of a nightmare earlier. I told my dad I would start a log fire when I got back from the cafe. I returned to a houseful of smoke. My dad started it himself, but the chimney was obviously blocked! Smoke was bellowing into the room, and he had the door open. But he didn't put the fire out! The whole house was thick with smoke. He got half of it right (open the door), but not the other half (put the fire out!). We wanted a fire because we've had no heating for 24 hours and its the middle of winter. But I've had to open all the windows for ages and the temperature indoors has dropped to 12C (54F). I'm back in the cafe to keep laptop and phone charged up, and to stay warm. My dad wants me to take him out for some dinner this evening, but the thing is, I eat much much later than he does. He eats like 7pm and I eat at like 9-10pm. So he will want to go out when I am still stuffed! This whole power outage thing has been a nightmare!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Got notification that power will be restored at 9pm this evening. I've got 2.5 hours to go. Typing this by candlelight! That will be a 30 hour power cut, the worst that I can remember for a long time.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Still no power. They are now saying 5:30am. That will be a 36 hour power outage. I'm freezing and hungry. Looks like another 6 mile trip to McDonalds.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 17:03
Sounds like our UK members need to perform a rescue!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
The scariest part of all this is that situations like this actually lead to accidental deaths. People burn charcoal and fuel operated devices indoor for some heat and end up dying from CO poisoning. Others burn candles on flammable surfaces. The glass/crystal candle holder cracks because they weren't meant to hold candles that burn right to the bottom. Then hot wax flows onto the surface and since the flame is right there, it catches fire. Next thing you know the whole place is going up in flames and where are people when this happens? In bed because they didn't blow that candle out before falling asleep.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
At least I won't be cold when I'm burning alive.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I didn't go up in flames last night, nor did the power come back on. They are now saying 1pm on one report and "To be announced" on another. It's 11.4C indoors now, so I am back in the coffee shop. How long does the freezer contents last for?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Depends on factors such as how much you have in there and how long the door is open. The more stuff the better. The less you open it the better. Mine easily survived 2 days. If stuff thaws don't toss it - cook it. You can freeze cooked food but don't refreeze thawed food, especially meat.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
From south Louisiana, we discovered an old trick. You can find freezable containers such as the ones used to hold individual "frozen flavored ice" treats. Other materials also work, you just want something tall and relatively thin that will handle being frozen without cracking. Get one with a flat bottom that will stand upright. Clean it out completely, then almost fill it with water. Put it in the freezer (when power is on) where it wont get badly jostled around. Let the water freeze. Now take a small coin (for the USA, pennies and dimes are the two smallest options) and rest it on top of the ice in that upright container.

Now, if you ever wonder if your freezer thawed out after a long power outage, see whether the coin is still on top of the container or if it is now deeper (or worse still, at the bottom.) If it is still on top of the ice, you are good. If it is in the middle, you have a "maybe" situation. If it is at the bottom, everything thawed.

As to how long freezers stay cold? Depends on the model and how often you went into the freezer to get something. No way to answer without having a bit more info. But the general rule of thumb here is, "If in doubt, throw it out."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom