The USSR Computer Industry (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 05:26
Many Many years ago I worked with a computer programmer from the country of Georgia when it was still part of the defunct USSR. What was very memorable, was how he treated his desktop (at our office in the US). He treated it with extreme reverence and care. Quite different from the US consumer viewpoint. While we view opening the box of our new electronic "toys" with excitement and pride; after a while we move-on, treating them (in the long term) sadly as disposable products. For the guy form Georgia, the computer was something to be well cared for and cherished.

Other historical articles:

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:26
I don't know that I treated my government-issued computer with reverence, but I did talk to it a lot. Things like "Oh, no you don't" and "I know where your electric cord is plugged in" and "I can have you wiped and reloaded if you don't start cooperating." BUT of course, I suffered from the same projection syndrome that many programmers and other computer users did... talking to an inanimate object as though it would make any difference in what it did next. Still, it was a good tension release.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Today, 04:26
My computer heard very colorful language from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom