The Computers Who Brought ENIAC to Life (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 03:50

This also reminded me of the movie "Hidden Figures".

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:50
The "Hidden Figures" movie is quite good as a study of life in a different time. Dorothy Vaughn led a group of "computers" - because back then, the persons who performed calculations on advanced mechanical adding machines had the job title of "computer" - to learn how to program an IBM 7000-series computer for NASA. She figured out how to use it and got her "ladies" a place in history. Plus kept their jobs for them.

In that movie, the "computers" were using Friden Comptometers, which was an add/subtract/multiply/divide mechanical math machine. You could hear it doing its "whirr-chunk-chunk-thunk" if you gave it a good division with lots of digits behind the decimal. My mother used them in the toll accounting department of South Central Bell back in the late 1950s and early 1960s. At the time we didn't know that NASA was using them. But I'm not really surprised.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I recently read a good book called the Rose Code by Kate Quinn. It's about the Enigma code and how it was broken.

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 16:50
I recently read a good book called the Rose Code by Kate Quinn. It's about the Enigma code and how it was broken.
I don't like movies because I think I can do better with 2 hours of my life.
But this one was worth it :
It's the real story of Alan Turing life and how he developed the first computer to break Enigma and how he ended up..... wow better to stop here.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
A parallel story, in this case based on the biography of Alan Turing:
Turning, famously goes on to ponder the question: "Can machines think?"
@KitaYama: Beat me to it!!:). Just getting ready to post when your post popped-up.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Today, 02:50

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
He may also like Claude Shannon - a very interesting, often overlooked, "genius".
Here's a youtube link, and there are others.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I met Grace in the early 70's also at a meet and greet at an IBM conference I attended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom