Too many Queries... (1 Viewer)

Rich_Lovina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:22
Help, I have eight pages of queries in my database...
Is there any way to group them, apart from using different forms so they are VB Code queries, specific clients queries, etc.

All I can think of is buidling a form or forms to nest them??

Grateful any ideas

FilipT

Local time
Today, 05:22
Querys in VB

You can write every Query in visuel basic, and use them that way where you want it (form, raport).
This is a little bit to complex to explain here, just experiment.
I write every db of mine with 0 querys, but make many querys in VB. If you have a query, you can see the SQL code behind it.
Just study that code and copy it in your vb aplication.
(You will have to change a few things here and there)

I learned it that way, and by reading a lot of forums here.

Hope to helped you a little bit with this.

Rich_Lovina

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks I understand that but its not what I'm asking. I am seeking to subject-group queries, so that as an over 50 yr old I don't keep having to sort thru c. 150 to find closely similar queries.

Anyone got a query tree?

Rakier

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:22
I use the properties of the query (right click the query icon for the query you want to set the properties of) to set a description to group them. When you view the info in the access window, you can then sort them by the description rather than the query name. You have to be viewing icons by details. This way, you can create groups in the display window.

HTH
Dan

Rich_Lovina

Registered User.
Local time
tHANKS i HAD USED THAT SOMETIMES TOO, and I suppose if there's no other way its not a bad idea.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:22
If you can deal with a work in process, you might find the db I've attached will get you started. It is in A97 and so will probably only work with A97 databases, but you can convert it to A2k.

I use it as a documentation aide but it has some very useful functionality. It calls the common dialog using API code to avoid the activeX registration problem and it displays the complete path and name of the library references. If these path names are long, you can't read them using the built-in dialog so this will give you complete information.

To use the db, enter the path and name of a db or use the builder button to use the common dialog to find one. Press the BuildTableObject button. Select one or more tables in the table list and then preview the report to see the table documentation. Hidden in the db (there is no GUI to get to it), is a table that breaks down the fields and tables used in queries. It is not 100% yet but it is far enough along so that you can use it to help you find things in your queries.

Attachments

• collectionswithcmndlgapi_a97.zip
    98.6 KB · Views: 110

Rich_Lovina

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks greatly Pat; I'll have a look at that...still so many aspects of Access that need further advancement. I'm still on Win 98, but figure almost time to move to 2K, as have Acc2K.

Have you looked at my data access page problem under asp, or have any views on it. The 'ineffective' result is sitting on my

www.bureauface.com/Comm_TitlesAcc.htm or

www.bureauface.com/CommTitlesACC1.htm

The query in the access page won't display to the page, and p'raps the website needs a 'watered-down' version of the database??
Hope the book is coming along??

J

Jerry Stoner

Dont know if this will help but...
I use my query names to group them. What I mean is of 100 queries say 10 are dealing with a certain module or subject. I name them something descriptive such as qryInv then something like qryInvLoc, qryInvQty, qryTrans then in the description spell out all abreviations. That way all queries that are similar will be together in the database window and in combobox row source dropdown etc.

Rich_Lovina

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, yeh I'd been doing that too. Just a pity there was not a tree pattern for grouping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom