Transfer Data into a report wizard? (1 Viewer)

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:11
Hey can I transfer data into a report wizard, to have the wizard use that data instead of the data in a table or query?? This data would come from a form.

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:41
NewfieSarah said:
Hey can I transfer data into a report wizard, to have the wizard use that data instead of the data in a table or query?? This data would come from a form.

HUH?

If you want to use the Report wizard, then you need to select a table or query. Why wouldn't you create a query first? How do you expect the report toi know what data to use?

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
Well I didn't know if there was an possible way to transfer my data from a form into the report wizard, thats what I was wondering. A query is so informal, I would like it in a report form or a form format. I dont know if a query wizard is what I need in particualr but I just thought it would be a good idea. What I would like is for my user to have the ability on my filtered form to create a on the fly report. That would contain different fields at different times. Depending on what they need at a certain time. A report wizard will do this but like you said I have to select a table or query first so I dont have one the data is on my form. So how would I accomplish this? Thanks

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
A form doesn't have data. The controls on a form may have data if the form is unbound. Otherwise the form reflects the values stored in fields of the bound table/query.

If the form is unbound you couldn't use the wizard to create a report anyway. If the form is bound, you can create your report based on the table or query and pass the filter to the report. I do this frequently because I have my users use the Filter by Form feature. I then have a print current selection button which uses Me.Filter as the Filter argument in the OpenReport method.

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
yes! okay, sorry i am a litte new with this topic, so How do I know if my form is bound or unbound?? I understand that the controls have the data not the form yes. okay my data in the fields are effected by the ones in my table?? you can pass to a filter to a report! My filter is by form as well. However I need to print only seleceted fields each time not all the fields in my table/form. that is why I though a report wizard would be good. since the user can pick which fields that they would like to have on the report.

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Check the RecordSource of your form, if it lists a table or query its bound.

If you want to be selective about the fields you print, that represents a problem. Creating dynamic reports like that is NOT easy. You are better off printing more data than you need.

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
yes my forms are bound. dynamic reports hey! well that is the way that the people who are using my program wants to use it. since that is what they are use to and people dont like changing there ways when it comes to computers but, maybe you could help me out with looking at both of the ways, and then I can present it to the people on my end for them to deside what they would rather, and well it is good for me to learn both ways really! it would be great if you could help me. Thanks

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
This is one of the places where Access is very weak, There is no way I know of to programatically add controls or to build a report on the fly. The best you can do is hide controls and move controls depending on criteria. It is NOT a task I would even attempt. The next best option is to create several reports based on the same data as your form and open the appropriate report based on the fields wanted.

If your users want more flexibilty, give them the option to export the data to Excel and build their reports there.

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the advice. I have been steard away from the dynamic reports I guess. However I am not sure that hiding controls and moving controls is what I want to happen either, but thanks for the help. I am just not sure what to do. I will have to discuss this again with my people. We might just have to use the wizard and be done with it! Thanks. if anythingelse comes to mind it would be great that you let me know!

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
You can setup code to to create a stored query from the filtered recordset. Then have the user use that query and build a report based on it.

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
stored query?? So what would this be like?? so would the stored query change every time. ie only one for the database instead of 10-20 since I could need that many reporst in a day/week??

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
This depends on your needs. Frankly, I don't see how you would need so many adhoc reports. If a report is necessary it should be created saved and then reused when necessary. I'd rather have multiple reports with minor variations then try to create reports on the fly.

NewfieSarah

Registered User.
Local time
Well it is not me, it is the people who I am creating this database for. It was also just a example, I am not sure how many reports in a day they would need, but see since they have a way of doing it now I am trying to give them the same way but better with this new program!

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Approach it to them this way:

I'm trying to make this easier on you by giving you a set of reports that lists the info you want. All you need is select the type of report and print it. I can give you as many report layouts as you want. You just need to list what you want. If you don't want to deal with a larger number of reports we can make them more generic and you can just ignore data you don't need. for that purpose. Otherwise, I have to give you raw data that you will need to spend time formatting.

If you approach it that way I guarantee they will porefer to select canned reports even if it has more info then they need.

One last point. You create multiple report LAYOUTS, such layouts are created to control what data is shown and how its setup on the page. But the RECORDS that are shown are controlled by filters. You use the same report layouts with different filters to control what records are listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom