Transferring Access Data File to Sharepoint ?? (1 Viewer)

AndyWilcock

Local time
Today, 20:11
How do I link Access to Sharepoint?
I have my database - I have a "SharePoint Group"

But access is asking for a Sharepoint Site ?? - What is it wanting?
How do I get the Data-file on to Sharepoint? - Where do I put it?

How do I link Access on the different desktops to the file on Sharepoint?

Any help would be greatly appreciated? What security issues do I have to overcome at each end?

Thank you to anyone who can help

Andy Wilcock

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:11
Have you tried going to Database Tools > Move Data > SharePoint?

You will need the URL for your SharePoint site.

AndyWilcock

Local time
Have you tried going to Database Tools > Move Data > SharePoint?

You will need the URL for your SharePoint site.
Thank you for this. I have now go so far, and it looked like it was transferring all the tables.
But then it said there was an error, and it a report has been stored in a log.

But it doesn't say where the log can be found......

Also a Security warning popped up behind the window but I couldn't read it or click on it.

Any thoughts would be very helpful

Andy

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I have a "SharePoint Group"

But access is asking for a Sharepoint Site ?? - What is it wanting?
How do I get the Data-file on to Sharepoint? - Where do I put it?
I've had to do a lot of work with Sharepoint over the past year and would be glad to try to help if I could, but need to better understand your situation. I think a Sharepoint "Group" is simply a collection of users - and this collection exists only for the purpose of representing Permissions.

If you want to put your Access data in Sharepoint, that probably means putting the data from Access tables into Sharepoint lists - which are called "Custom Lists", technically, in Sharepoint. You'll need a URL - a site that you can bring up in your browser, and then you'll either need to pre-make the Sharepoint Custom Lists (to mirror your Access table columns) first, or, you can use Access's feature where it exports directly to Sharepoint, and does the work of creating the lists as-it-goes......But that latter option leaves you with less control over precisely how those lists are made.

AndyWilcock

Local time
I've had to do a lot of work with Sharepoint over the past year and would be glad to try to help if I could, but need to better understand your situation. I think a Sharepoint "Group" is simply a collection of users - and this collection exists only for the purpose of representing Permissions.

If you want to put your Access data in Sharepoint, that probably means putting the data from Access tables into Sharepoint lists - which are called "Custom Lists", technically, in Sharepoint. You'll need a URL - a site that you can bring up in your browser, and then you'll either need to pre-make the Sharepoint Custom Lists (to mirror your Access table columns) first, or, you can use Access's feature where it exports directly to Sharepoint, and does the work of creating the lists as-it-goes......But that latter option leaves you with less control over precisely how those lists are made.
Hi Isaac,
Thank you so much for your support in this. Sorry about the delay in responding. So I created a Sharepoint list - as you said. Then in Access I clicked on the Sharepoint button.
It opened up the "Export Tables to Sharepoint Wizard" box
But behind this i got "Security Warning Some active content has been disabled. Click for more details (Enable Content)
BUT I can't click on this as the Wizard box was active.

After the wizard had finished i Got "Warning - Issues were encounted while moving your tables."

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Andy

see attached photos

Attachments

• 20210618_094116.jpg
    20210618_094116.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 369
  • 20210618_094133.jpg
    20210618_094133.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 371

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
  1. Are you able to find the resulting table "Move to Sharepoint Site Issues" that the 2nd screenshot references?
  2. What I was kind of getting at is, if the 'move to sharepoint' wizard is giving you trouble (and at any rate it gives you less control over what is happening), you might want to switch gears and take the alternative (or what I would consider, Primary/Preferred) approach: Create the lists in Sharepoint (which it sounds like maybe you have already done that), then Link to that list in Access, and then create an Append query to append your data from the Access table into the Sharepoint list.......rather than using the 'export tables to sharepoint' wizard (which tries to do it all in one fell swoop--creating lists and moving data into them at once).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom