Solved Truncation of Memo Field in an Access Report (1 Viewer)

Hello1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:31
Hello guys,

Recently I came across this problem and couldn't really find a solution on the internet so I decided to share my experience about it here.

I made an invoice access report which contains a memo text field in the report footer. However, whenever the text would be longer than 255 characters the report would only show maximum 255 characters.
I found somewhere that the query behind the report might be the cause when using grouping, DISTINCTROW, DISTINCT... I didnt use any of it, it was just a simple query, so it was of no help to me.
The next thing I found was to change the text filed from Plain Text to Rich Text, what wasnt of any help either.
Then I found somewhere that moving the text field to the detail section helps, so I tried it and yes, it did work, it showed all the characters.
However, the text field wasnt really of any use to me in the detail section, I needed it in the report footer section.
I also tried it in the Page footer section, it also worked there but again, I needed it in the Report footer section.

The solution was simple:
I left the text box in the Page footer section and set it to Visible = False (lets name the text box, txtBoxPageFooter). After that I added a new unbound text field (lets name it txtBoxReportFooter) to the Report footer and set its Can Grow and Can Shrink properties to Yes (irrelevant, well, depending on the control size).
Last thing I did was simply adding a piece of code to the report on load event.
Code:
Me.txtBoxReportFooter.Value = Me.txtBoxPageFooter

And thats it.
Pretty easy, yes but who knows... Someone might find it helpful :rolleyes:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:31
Interesting workaround. Thank you for sharing.

Dipo

Local time
Today, 00:31
Hello, glad to be here, quite a resourceful community.

I did a report where my memo field is not displaying in full though looks OK both at table, query and form view.

I heard Group by cous the the culprit since all others settings seems in order so I did a temporal table where query append data to while report is now directly on the table yet the glitch still persist. Any advise on way forward?

I am using Access 2010

Thanks

Dipo

Local time
Hello, glad to be here, quite a resourceful community.

I did a report where my memo field is not displaying in full though looks OK both at table, query and form view.

I heard Group by cous the the culprit since all others settings seems in order so I did a temporal table where query append data to while report is now directly on the table yet the glitch still persist. Any advise on way forward?

I am using Access 2010

Thanks
I eventually resolved this thanks to tips gleaned in here.

I based the report on query (for filter) and selected memo fields directly on primary table and that solved the problem.

Anytime the memo field get queried, it get truncated on the report defying all my efforts.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:31
Perhaps you could post a test database showing the issue so reader can see the issue in context.

Dipo

Local time
Perhaps you could post a test database showing the issue so reader can see the issue in context.
Thanks. I have actually resolved it except anyone wishes to compare note.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:31
Do you have a working solution for this?

Anytime the memo field get queried, it get truncated on the report defying all my efforts.

Dipo

Local time
Do you have a working solution for this?
Yes.

What eventually worked was to pick the memo field directly from the table. I related the query (for filter) with the table on the report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom