Turning a db into a webpage. (1 Viewer)

Fuga

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:04
Hi,

Is there a good developer tool for turning an access db into a webpage?

Or should I go about it in a completely different way?

I want it to work just as it does, but I would like to have it on the www.

Fuga.

johndoomed

VBA idiot
Local time
Today, 07:04
What kind of webpage du you want to make? Do you want to make a extranet-site with the same functions as the Access DB, or do you want to make a standard website with content from the DB?

The thing is, you make a webpage, and you get content and other info from a DB.

Dreamweaver (Macromedia/Adobe??) is the best tool around.

Fuga

Registered User.
Local time
I think I want to have the functions on the extranet.

The thing is I´m an absolute beginner when it comes to web-designing.

My db contains quite a lot of Vba stuff, and quite a lot of calculations.

Fuga.

johndoomed

VBA idiot
Local time
What kind of system is this? CRM?

How many people are going to use the system? Can you consider VPN as an alternative?

Just thinking out of the box..

There is a huge and difficult, not to say impossible, to do this yourself in ASP if you dont know anything about it.

Fuga

Registered User.
Local time
So there isn´t a MsOffice-like program with OLE and Vba possibilities etc?

I don´t think there will be many simultaneous users. VPN might be an option. Would I use it like a frontend locally at the users end?

And what about creating an activeX in VB and put that on the web?

Fuga.

johndoomed

VBA idiot
Local time
Not simultaneous users. Total users which are going to use the system. If there is just a few, I would go for the VPN option. With IP security.

Think that is the best and easiest way. At least from my point of view.

Fuga

Registered User.
Local time
Well, if all goes well, I think there might be 100 - 500 total users.

Wasn´t there a program called frontpage?

Fuga.

johndoomed

VBA idiot
Local time
Ok. Stay away from Frontpage. It's for home users. Not for making a pro webapp.

Can you describe anymore of the functions you want?

Websites and webapps is my profession. We use access to manage our clients, but never on webpages. MySQL or even MsSQL is far more suited than access for web applications. Describe your project and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Fuga

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for all your help.

First, I need some sort of login function on the site.

The database functions will be:

Creating tables with specific datatypes (without the user knowing it of course. The user will only think of it as adding a selection criteria for instance). The PK and relations with other tables must be set by me. There will be 10 - 20 tables for each user. When ending a session I´m thinking the user saves all records and setting locally (in text files maybe) and empties the database. Next time the user is online, He/she uploads all the textfiles, turning them into tables.

So what I need is some sort of database "shell" that is empty until a user fills it with the imported text files. Of course another user shouldn´t be able to see the other users' databases. I think I need to do it this way, since only one of the tables will look the same for every user.

The functions I need are statistical functions (averages, trendlines etc), including some sort of yes/no box for disregarding a specific record from some tables.

Fuga.

johndoomed

VBA idiot
Local time
Hmm, You need the users to create tables? So if there is 500 users, it can be 2000 tables? Can the users create the different colums as well? An will these vary in number from user to user?

I can tell you right now that you need a professional web programmer to solve this. At least one. And it's going to cost you.

Fuga

Registered User.
Local time
Or...I´ll turn myself into a professional web programmer:)

But seriously, The tables will be of just three or four kinds, and I don´t think the users need to decide the number of columns.

I think I´d know how to do it in VB or VBA.

Fuga.

johndoomed

VBA idiot
Local time
Ok. Good luck :)

Since you're used to VB/VBA I would recommend that you check out the possibilities in ASP and/or .NET (Both MS).

Many use PHP with MySQL because it is "free" and cheaper to host. But the price difference is not that much.

There is a lot of resources on the web, I would recommend http://www.webmasterworld.com/ as a starting point.

Ask the guys to point you in the right direction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom