Tutorial to Build a "Report Center" (1 Viewer)

DBApprentice

On Error GoTo AWF *****:
Local time
Today, 03:28
Fellow Access Master,

I would like to know if you could reference me to a tutorial or something similar to a tutorial or example that I could learn how to make a "report center" where the user can build up his own report.

Appreciate any help on this!:)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:28
Hi. Not sure about a tutorial, but I think this topic was covered in the book Professional Access 2013 Programming (if memory serves).

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:28
Crystal reports comes to mind for custom reports. Have to admit that it's been a long time since I ever considered it. Maybe see if it's still around.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:28
I'm not sure that I would ever allow users to build reports. That would require giving them an .accdb rather than an .accde or .accdr which leads to other issues. Besides, if the user modifies his FE, how would you ever be able to coordinate updates to the FE. Once you allow individual users to update the FE, it is no longer yours to control. Each user would have his own copy of the FE and each user would be making his own modifications.

You can fairly easily allow users to create Excel or csv exports. You would save their selected columns in a table so that is just data rather than actual objects.

Of course, if the reports are simple list type format, then you can also store the column selections in a table. However, in this case, you will need to limit the number of columns so you don't have trouble building the report object. Even building the report object yourself, while certainly better than letting the user do it, is still a problem because if you are manipulating objects, you must distribute an .accdb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom