Solved Unable to Compact/Repair ANY Database (1 Viewer)

LGDGlen

Local time
Today, 04:55
Hi All

I thought i'd hit an issue with the latest update whereby i get the following error:

1645784911434.png

But i have tried the following:
  • Multiple database files
  • Different folders on my local machine
  • Confirming that the folders being used are in my trusted locations configuration
  • Reverted to earlier releases of Access
I still get the same issue.

I have run the process on someone elses computer on the database i want to compact and it works fine which means i've broken something in Access somewhere and i can't figure out what it is.

If anyone has any ideas i'd really appreciate it

Kind regards

Glen

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Some things to try

reboot your computer

if your file contains code, try compiling it and also try decompile/recompile, fix any errors found

repair access or uninstall/reinstall

you might also want to check out this link

LGDGlen

Local time
@CJ_London i have tried the reboot option and that didn't resolve. how do i go about compiling the VBA or decompile/recompile as you say. its just weird the database compacts on other machines not mine.

actually i just realised in the main post i didn't state

The database is split as well, the front end and back end are both on my computer so its just the front end i'm trying to compact/repair

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
to decompile see this link

always worth doing in a regular basis during development (followed by a compact/repair) and certainly before you release to production.

I set the shortcut up on my desktop with the decompile flag, becomes automatic to open the db that way.

For compiling, in the vba window go to Debug>compile. Ensure you have Option Explicit at the top of each module. You can set this to happen automatically for new modules by going to Tools>Options and under the editor tab tick the 'require variable declaration' tab

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 20:55
@CJ_London so done all that and still no joy, still unable to compact on my computer
There is a known bug that results in this behavior. It is supposed to have been fixed. Some recent reports, like yours, seem to indicate that it may not be resolved for everyone, but do start by ensuring you have the most recent build. If you do, and this problem remains for you it needs to be reported to MS. I'm about out of patience with this lingering lack of solutions, but we do what we can.

LGDGlen

Local time
Hi @GPGeorge the issue i have is that 2 different PCs running same versions of Access 1 can compact the other can't same database front end

i am on the latest version and i have backed out the updates to many different previous versions and it still occurs so i think its something up with my machine specifically...... although i am not putting it past M$ and it being a manifestation of a bug

LGDGlen

Local time
@CJ_London apologies, i appear to have missed that suggestion above, :oops: i will actually give it a go and see whether that helps, i think i saw repair and thought it referred to the compact and repair business

LGDGlen

Local time
quick and full repairs didn't resolve the issue, re-install will have to wait till monday now but will give that a try then

LGDGlen

Local time
ok so have found 1 other user in the office who is also unable to compact/repair........... wooohooo..... means its a bug with access and as such i'm doing no more faffing around with installations/repairs/revert and wait for new update

LGDGlen

Local time
I have today updated to Version 2202 (Build 14391.20132) and am now able to compact and repair my database, so this issue has been fixed a spart of this update......... who knows what joys i'll find that they've broken in this update ....... but for now this issue is resolved

LGDGlen

Local time
@Cherylodge thank you for your reply, yesterday after the update i was able to do the compact and repair, but now i'm back to the same situation and can't do the process.

i have shut down all access to the back end and also the front end both locally and shared via the network and all the laccdb files are removed when all front and back end access are stopped and i have searched my entire hard drive for any spurious lock files and nothing.

with no one accessing the back and only myself opening the front end i still am now unable to repair/compact the front end

so i just don't know. my initial relief has been once again curtailed with the reality that the issue is probably something my end and i'm not entirely sure what it is and how to resolve it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom