Unbelievable! (1 Viewer)

neuroman9999

Local time
Today, 10:47
Tech jargon? You understand implicit and explicit - implicitly. You are very big on that which is seen and that which is unseen, mostly because of your religious beliefs. If I have to give you a dictionary definition, it isn't worth it.
hey grandpa, are you telling me that these 2 definitions are NOT related to technology somehow!?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/implicit

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/explicit

You presume I referred only to explicit events. There were some implicit events in that mix as well. NONE of them arouse my interest, TYVM.
IMPLICIT IN TECH:
=> referenced variable that does not have a formal declaration
=> memory used on LINE 1 of a program that is still available but not cared for when LINE 50,000 is executed
=> the OPTION EXPLICIT statement

EXPLICIT IN TECH:
=> compiled program
=> formal variable declarations (DIM statement). Or, to AROUSE your interest, VAR in Javascript, $[NAME] in PHP, TYPE in C#
=> the OPTION EXPLICIT statement

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
"Implicit" and "explicit" are also legal terms. They have been in the language from a time before computers existed. You are beating a dead horse. You are arguing for the sake of arguing because otherwise NO ONE would talk to you.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:47
For a person who's never owned a pickup truck before, but is thinking of getting one within the next 3 years - AND admittedly wants to reduce the difficulty in handling it in limited spaces (i.e., I don't want to be "that guy" who requires an 18-point operation to pull into a Walmart space, as many do), what's the best combination of "as close to full size" (good sized bed, 2 seats) but "as manageable as possible", without extra feet of steel just because, as some trucks seem to be.

I currently own a 2012 GMC Sierra XLT 4WD and crew cab. It has a 5.3 foot bed. Pretty comfortable truck. Fairly easy to park most times. Not as easy as the Chevy Equinox I used to own, but it allows me to transport family in more comfort. The truck bed has been very useful. It has some quirks and it is showing it's age a bit (113,,000 mile on the odometer). I have had to replace the front two outside door handles (cheap plastic). Also installed a backup camera (a real life saver) and a dashcam. I do most of my own maintenance (a few times I have gotten the oil changed at a quick lube, for various reasons, but I normally do the oil change).

Last edited:

neuroman9999

Local time
You are arguing for the sake of arguing because otherwise NO ONE would talk to you.
no I'm not. I'm showing you what I know, since you are always adamant that I know nothing about anything. Or have you changed that ridiculous viewpoint by now?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have never doubted that you knew a few programming languages. Nor have I ever (that I recall) said anything negative about your programming skills in those languages. I have merely pointed out on occasion that your skills in Access and VBA are less than stellar.

However, mindful of Monty Python's Flying Circus and the "Argument Clinic" sketch, I will not belabor the point.

neuroman9999

Local time
I have merely pointed out on occasion that your skills in Access and VBA are less than stellar.
why do you and every other pro here constantly allude to the fact that one language is any different than the next? IT ISN'T. some languages have strengths that others do not. other than that, OOP is OOP, statements are statements, methods are methods, classes are classes, types are types, and on and on. so, why can we not agree that this whole environment is extremely simple and universal? because IT IS. and we've already talked about this too....when the corporate folks get to a point where they can patternize literally everything, no one will have to know anything anymore anyway. at that point, everything I've just said about [this] is [that] will become completely irrelevant anyway.
I will not belabor the point.
no need to. I don't listen to 70 year olds more than I absolutely have to. ;)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm in a forgiving mood, but you came perilously close to crossing the line. I am indeed older than 70. This irrelevant old man is going to show you more courtesy than you have shown me. I will not ban you for a week over that comment. Just watch it because insulting other members is one of Jon's clear guidelines on how to decide when to ban. I'll say it now. Cross the line between disrespect and outright insult and you are going to be out of here for a week. More if I can get a couple of modes to agree with me. Trust me, there will be no wet handkerchiefs wiping up the tears, either.

why do you and every other pro here constantly allude to the fact that one language is any different than the next?

Yes, it is true that anything you can do in one language can probably be done in another language, for the most part. The difference is "relative degree of difficulty." Writing a true binary-code compiler in VBA would be a LOT harder than writing one in C#. Doing that compiler in XML would be extremely hard. Knowing which language to use and when and WHY is a great skill to have. Knowing why to NOT use a language is also important. But if you had ever used a language like PL/1-G then you would understand WHY some things are better done in BASIC despite the incredible power of that particular language.

neuroman9999

Local time
Yes, it is true that anything you can do in one language can probably be done in another language, for the most part. The difference is "relative degree of difficulty." Writing a true binary-code compiler in VBA would be a LOT harder than writing one in C#. Doing that compiler in XML would be extremely hard. Knowing which language to use and when and WHY is a great skill to have. Knowing why to NOT use a language is also important. But if you had ever used a language like PL/1-G then you would understand WHY some things are better done in BASIC despite the incredible power of that particular language.
everything you said falls in your wheelhouse, not mine. and if we were weren't living in 2020, I could learn a great deal from you regarding that stuff. but alas....it doesn't provide anything of value at this point, does it?

oh and yeah sure, I'll watch it. but did you not noticed the WINK!? you should have. that should have washed away any assumptions you live on that I despise you and have any interest in insulting you. as I don't. remember this?

no need to. I don't listen to 70 year olds more than I absolutely have to. ;)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, your wink is as meaningless as the rest of your posts. You say you want to have a little fun. You say you were just joking, just kidding around, but you don't mean it. In a court of law, neither libel nor slander allow "I was just joking" as a defense. You are disrespectful and have been banned for that attitude before. You have told us on more than one occasion that your online persona and your real-life persona are completely different. Why should we trust you at all here if we cannot even trust you to show us the "real" you?

You just don't get it. You are insulting but then run and hide behind the "I was just joking" defense. That's just like the little boy who does something bad but then when daddy comes after him with a rolled up newspaper or a belt, the kid hides behind mommy and clings desperately to her apron. (Yes, that is stereotypical, but I'm creating an image in words here.) Go whimper in your corner. That "I was just joking" will not deflect anything at all any more. You like to insult people to their limit. Guess what... you are over your limit and I'm waiting for the trigger.

neuroman9999

Local time
You like to insult people to their limit.
at some point in history, maybe yes. but as time has gone on with regard to my presence on this board, that has diminished greatly.

I think the thing that pisses me off more than anything about you Richard, aside from you not believe in God (which I don't guilt you for, because that would go against my faith obviously), is that as far as I can tell, your life experiences before the Navy days (and possibly after them) and those outside of the Navy (that I do not know about) have somehow affected you and changed whatever traditional mindset you had, if you did have one at some point. That has nothing to do with liberism or convervatism, or any other parallel concept for that matter. I will never know you personally, so I'm just venturing a guess. Try to take it with a grain of salt, won't you?

What I think you suffer from is what 99% of all human beings suffer from, and that is the desire to know more and more as time goes on, for whatever reason you desire. The reason in your case is irrelevant, as I don't personally care. But the truth you're not aware of is that as people go through that process, which you obviously have just like everyone else (me included, because the world forces me to, to some degree, in order to stay current-up-to-date), their thoughts change and their views change in terms of what is acceptable and what isn't. and many other things.

Now, not to throw catholicism into this, but I'll make one small point. The devil has many faces, and one of them is obviously deceit. Then of course you have greed, confusion, lust and a lot of other things. The confusion right now, and for the last 5-10 years, has come in the form of the massive amount of information injection into the world due to the idiots creating all the technology that means virtually nothing. (although the tech IS needed to carry the world on and progress, I agree with you there. we have no choice). and the deceit is coming in many forms as well, one of those being this current trend that is being led by the corporate folks and the government of the world: ""everyone gets a long. there is no conflict. no one will ever get mad"". well, sorry, but WRONG. and what comes along with that of course is this attitude of ""everyone has to accept everyone else and to each their own. any lifestyle/mindset is acceptable"". well, once again, WRONG. People can pretend that this false peace is exactly what is right, but you can't delay the inevitable.

But with that said, I really have great hope for humanity in that, no matter how uncomfortable people are with each other, the fighting that's inevitable is probably a long ways into the future because everyone in the world right now is doing anything and everything they can to cooperate with each other. and that's a good thing. after all, they're smart enough to be able to understand each other and not tear each other's heads off due to their differences. and that's exactly what's happening. so good for them!

oh, and you want my disclaimer, right? OK here....I don't really care what other people do. they can live however they want to live, think whatever they want to think and anything else. I'm not going to say anything. If they wanna talk to me, they know where to find me. and so do You.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
changed whatever traditional mindset you had,

You can't get here for a couple of days, but you will see this eventually. Thanks, Jon. I was waiting for just the right comment. to do what you did. But I have tried to stay thick-skinned about this.

Adam, what changed me is simple. It's called life. The pre-Christianity Chinese had an old proverb for it. "We are a new person every five years." (Some say seven years but it's the same concept.) It's the Heisenberg Principle as applied to life. You cannot interact with something in a way to change it without it in some way changing you. LIFE changes us. Life changed my views on religion about 35 years ago (give or take a couple.)

their views change in terms of what is acceptable and what isn't.

What doesn't change is that quote from Matthew 7:2, which I'm sure you will find if you care. It is the 2000-year-old equivalent of "what goes around comes around." It is a restatement of the Golden Rule. You bemoan your observation that you and I will probably never get to meet each other and yet don't realize that my stated desire to NOT ever meet you is a reflection of the way I see you on this forum and a reflection of the way you have treated me. Your claim of different personas online vs. reality is merely another indicator of your duplicitous nature. Why would ANYONE want to meet someone who admits that his screen persona is a lie?

If you are worried about what is acceptable, I'll give you a hint. A disrespectful attitude is NEVER acceptable unless you have forgotten how to turn your other cheek.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Well said Doc Man. TDM and I don't always agree, i.e. about Christianity, but one thing is sure @The_Doc_Man --your restrained, civil & patient attitude, plus leaning towards discourse rather than disdain, means that interactions with you - even episodes representing disagreement - are always colored in a way that leaves me feeling fine, and never includes insults or outright derision. This is a major life skill in you that I respect, even if I question the extent of your patience with some people.

Every time I am reminded of people like Adam, who do their best to completely garble and deform Christianity into something abominable, I am a bit saddened. Yet it does nothing to sway me from my belief, since believing in something, i.e. one's belief in the truth vs. untruth of something, has nothing to do with "how well other professed believers do". But still, the behaviors of those who claim some repugnant form of the faith while doing everything in their power to stain it with bad behavior are regrettable & saddening.

Meanwhile, TDM, your continued engagement with him as an affirmation of the worth and potential of every human being challenges my own durability in that aspect - so thank you for that. I rarely click the "show ignored content" link that shows me YNW's conversations, but decided to do so today and these thoughts came out of it all.

Peace out.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Isaac - thank you very much for the kind words. It lets me know that my continued attempts to be civil and respectful are actually working. It helps to have an external review to confirm that effort.

You and I never need to get into a discussion about religion because I have a firm "believe as you wish" attitude. I respect your right to believe. In the USA, we believe in the right to any personal religion, creed, or abstract belief as long as no laws are broken. Just don't be a Rastafarian and smoke your ganja while driving any car larger than a "smart car."

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Just don't be a Rastafarian and smoke your ganja while driving any car larger than a "smart car."
Had to google it for a few moments, but (Dang!) - I think I can keep that request. :)

neuroman9999

Local time
Why would ANYONE want to meet someone who admits that his screen persona is a lie?
it's not a lie you super-nice person. I already addressed this.

oh, and by the way, to you and @Isaac , and anyone else a little confused....do you guys think it's any surprise that certain groups of people (that I can see, are all like-minded people) don't believe in God (or anything for that matter) or anything religious oriented? I'm willing to bet that you, Richard, Issac and anyone else here that think like you 2, probably don't believe in God primarily because of any of these 4 things, or all of them:

1) your life experiences weren't necessarily classified as "loving".
2) you're so smart that you fall into the category of "people who know better and/or have reached the age of reason".
3) you've talked to way too many people on Earth who hide behind Jesus' name because they're scared to death to face the world with courage and/or don't want to deal with the manipulative and evil people that run the world who do not care about them.
4) you get seriously annoyed when you are approached by someone who wants to ""show you the love of Christ"" because they seem so happy that they literally seem fake. Either that, or you know in your soul that, based on who they are and that they are accepted in some parts of the world/in organizations where you are not, you get angry about it and prevent them from showing you that they really have good intentions and honestly don't think they are more accepted/more intelligent/better than you are. (lets face it, people gather together based on like mindedness/comfort level with each other in their interactions, and that will never change).

do any one of those describe you guys? I'm willing to be at least one of them does. I meet so many people on this Earth that, can be described specifically by any or all of those points. Now, I could care less, however, one of the reasons I exist and have come to be said to live the life I'm living now, is to encounter people like this and give them information and/or relay a persona to where hopefully they reconsider their beliefs into the true God and why he exists or died a long time ago and what the purpose of it was. Yes, that sounds like bible thumping, but of course it isn't. I'm willing to bet that I will encounter many people in the years to come, whether it is supposed to happen or not, that will be so taken aback by the truth I show in my words to them or the truth of the life I live, proven by many factors and scenarios I won't mention here, they will start to ask themselves ""wow, he's a nice person"", or ""I wonder what he meant by what he said"".

and you can bet your ass Richard, and all of you guys here, that the ""loving attitude"" of churches and that which is supposed to come from their members, will change as the future rolls on. Some churches will become less loving as the possibility of them getting automated out of their day jobs gets closer to a reality, thanks to the corporate people of the world. but that of course won't happen until the africans, hispanics and anyone else wake up and realize that they are the ones in the USA currently being targeted as easy prey to buy products that are advertised to them, without questioning it. I'm well aware of the fact that corporate America always wins, even if they have to kill/go to war over it. They've done it before, and they will surely do it again, due to their lack of faith in anything.

But, given the negativity I've just throw out there, I do have great hope for humanity at this point because it is becoming very evident that there is a HUGE movement around the world (maybe just in the USA, I don't know) regarding people wanting to cooperate with each other and make capitalism a more fair and balanced system, for many reasons that I personally believe. One obviously is that, since capitalism is now the ecnomonic system of choice of most countries of the world thanks to the injection/influence by the USA and it's massive amount of a greed-motivated attitude, people have become very comfortable with it and realized that, for one reason or another, it seems like the best system to live under and therefore they accept it as it is. Another reason too, is obviously that, the intelligent people of the world realize that if corporations don't keep bringing the money in, the system, as it is right now, will die. and of course, no one wants to die (they especially don't want to be poor) or become financially unstable because they're comfortable with their money. The 3rd reason I will mention, which is not the last one in my personal list, is that NO ONE in this world wants anyone else (especially a government) to set off a bomb out of anger over what corporations have come to make of this Earth and everyone on it. They've done serious damage, and of course the only reason is because of their own mistakes (which they never think about before acting/behaving). But then again, they never think about the consequences of their actions at the time they're doing them because they're only interested in the massive amount of profit making at the time they are behaving this way.

So given all that, and as a man of God, dare I say again that I'm sure people on this Earth will continue to cooperate with each other for a long long time because, like I said, every one of them are literally scared shitless of what the future holds. And that fear will not come to pass as a reality until the corporations have literally sold everything they possibly can to the ignorant general public and the concept of ""bettering life"" comes to a screeching halt. At THAT point something will have to happen, and no one really knows what that is. Whether it be Universal Basic Income for all because the corps and governments attract so much guilt for keeping all the resources and not giving anything to the little people, or whether it be a war between the different parties on Earth who have killed for money-making possibilities in the past, I have no idea. But if I'm still around when that comes to pass, I hope the event that does take place will be one that is as positive as it can be. But let us not forget that the end does happen eventually because people have no faith in God. That's why Christ died. There was only one purpose for it. and that is, people can't help themselves, just like you guys can't help yourself. and I don't blame any of you for it. All I can say is good luck to ya. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom