Undetermined Problems with an MS-Access front and back end (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 15:40
How will the FE-BE config, with say Citrix or Remote Desktop be able to better support remote users? How does Citrix (or Remote Desktop) prevent the WiFi cut out?
I came here looking for an answer to the same question. The current job I'm in uses this set-up with Thin Client PC's. Most of the workers, myself included, work from home and although the performance isn't blazing, it isnt really all that bad.
With Citrix/RD, the FE and the BE are both on the same server. There is no network connection involved between FE and BE. Citrix and RD are usually faster than a LAN app. The only communication sent over the "wire" with Citrix/RD is screen images from the server and keystrokes and mouse events from the client. No data ever gets sent across the internet except as keystrokes. As Isaac said, you might loose your connection to the server but the FE doesn't loose its connection to the BE. You just reconnect to your session and pick up where you left off.
Excellent explanation, thank you. As I said, the performance isnt stellar, but I am certain I can improve it with better form design and more efficient queries.

Really appreciate everyone who contributed to this thread. If anyone has any tips and tricks to working with a Citrix/Thin Client setup, I'm ALL ears (eyes)...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:40
The issue of "intermittent success" can sometimes be caused by permissions issues - not ONLY with the back-end file, but with the back-end folder. Any user of a native-Access back-end must have MODIFY (broad-brush) permissions on that folder and PASSTHRU (fine-grained) permissions on all folders that are parents, grandparents, etc. of the shared folder. The problem comes about when the back-end lock file cannot be properly manipulated by Access because of incorrect folder permissions. These will cause transactions, updates, inserts, etc. to fail when multiple users are involved.

Therefore, when checking permissions, don't limit yourself to the BE file. Check the folder too.

Martyh

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:40
Hi Doc,

Thanks for replying to this issue. I don't really understand the following...

>> issue of "intermittent success" can sometimes be caused by permissions issues

My understanding of permissions is that once they are set, only physically resetting them can change them. i.e. they are NOT changed by typical software. How can it cause "intermittent" success (or failure)?

Regards,

Marty

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:40
The intermittent success occurs based on who got there first if the permissions are wrong. That is because in self-defense, Access opens something in Exclusive mode if it can't deal with the lock file. It is the only way to protect the DB contents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom