Union Query dramas (1 Viewer)

Pap265

Local time
Today, 15:28
Hello good people,

I've been having difficulty with two of queries that I wish to join together..... maybe I am just going about it the wrong way :/

UPDATE qryStatFillingInStat8 SET qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8 = "1 of 1"
WHERE (((qryStatFillingInStat8.OptionCodes) In (SELECT [OptionCodes] FROM [qryStatFillingInStat8] As Tmp GROUP BY [OptionCodes] HAVING Count(*)=1 )));
Union
UPDATE qryStatFillingInStat8 SET qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8 = "1 of 2"
WHERE (((qryStatFillingInStat8.OptionCodes) In (SELECT [OptionCodes] FROM [qryStatFillingInStat8] As Tmp GROUP BY [OptionCodes] HAVING Count(*)=2 )));

any help or suggetions appricated .....regards Bill (Australia)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:28
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Unfortunately, you cannot UNION two action queries.

Pap265

Local time
Hi DB, well thats I can not get anywhere...... what if, I union them into a Select query and then change it to a UPDATE query?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:28
Code:
UPDATE qryStatFillingInStat8
SET qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8 = Switch(DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes='" & [OptionCodes] & "'")=1,"1 of 1",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes='" & [OptionCodes] & "'")=2,"1 of 2",
True,qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8);

the sql code will work if OptionCode is Text.
If it is Numeric, change it to:
Code:
SET qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8 = Switch(DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=" & [OptionCodes])=1,"1 of 1",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=" & [OptionCodes])=2,"1 of 2",

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 21:28
An UPDATE action cannot involve a non-editable query. A UNION is non-editable.

Saving calculated (especially aggregate) data is usually ill-advised. If you can calculate for UPDATE then can calculate when needed.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:28
An UPDATE action cannot involve a non-editable query
That's not correct. Attached db demonstrates an update query that involves a non-updateable query.

@Pap265 Can you explain what it is you are trying to do ? If you have 2 update queries, both of which you are satisfied with, you can simply run one after the other to accomplish the results of both. I am struggling conceptually speaking with what you might be intended by even wanting to do this--but I'd rather ask than guess.

Attachments

• Testing 20200625.accdb
    512 KB · Views: 89

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 00:28
So, you are trying to UNION two UPDATE queries which each use a similar aggregate query in their WHERE clause both of which are based on the query you are trying to update? That's an Inception-level mess of a query you have there.

I suggest you tell us what you are ultimately trying to accomplish. Don't reference this query or even qryStatFillingInStat8 at all. Tell us about the tables and what this database does and what this specific task you are trying to achieve does for you.

Pap265

Local time
Code:
SET qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8 = Switch(DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes='" & [OptionCodes] & "'")=1,"1 of 1",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes='" & [OptionCodes] & "'")=2,"1 of 2",

the sql code will work if OptionCode is Text.
If it is Numeric, change it to:
Code:
SET qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8 = Switch(DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=" & [OptionCodes])=1,"1 of 1",

Hi arnelgp, that works ! thank you very much :) if I wanted to continue more steps for "1 of 3" "1 of 4" "1 of 5" "1 of 6" could you add the lines for me please and i will see the pattern for the rest I need to do....... thank you for your help.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Access query object has a limit of 1024 characters in each cell of design grid. Sounds like you could hit that limit with repeating that complete DCount in Switch(). How high could a count get? The following syntax doesn't care, any count will work.
Code:
UPDATE qryStatFillingInStat8 SET Stat8 = "1 of " & DCount("*", "qryStatFillingInStat8", "OptionCodes=" & [OptionCodes]);

Last edited:

arnelgp

Local time
Code:
see this pattern:

SET qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8 =
Switch(DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=" & [OptionCodes])=1,"1 of 1",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=" & [OptionCodes])=3,"1 of 3",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=" & [OptionCodes])=4,"1 of 4",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=" & [OptionCodes])=5,"1 of 5",

arnelgp

Local time
Code:
or

SET qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8 = IIF(DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=" & [OptionCodes])=0,qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8,
"1 of " & DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=" & [OptionCodes]));

Pap265

Local time
So, you are trying to UNION two UPDATE queries which each use a similar aggregate query in their WHERE clause both of which are based on the query you are trying to update? That's an Inception-level mess of a query you have there.

I suggest you tell us what you are ultimately trying to accomplish. Don't reference this query or even qryStatFillingInStat8 at all. Tell us about the tables and what this database does and what this specific task you are trying to achieve does for you.

Ok, I'll try to explain....

I have the Options field with duplicate data, and I want to populate the Stat8 filed with "1 of 35" duplicates for each of the 35 records found that are the same in the Options field. Hopei have explained it ok.

Pap265

Local time
Code:
see this pattern:

Switch(DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=" & [OptionCodes])=1,"1 of 1",
thank you arnelgp I will give it a try :)

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Should consider alternate syntax in posts 10 and 12.

Pap265

Local time
Code:
see this pattern:

I'm getting a Type Conversion Error........ All fields involved are TEXT

arnelgp

Local time
Code:
you add "'" delimiter if it is Text:

SET qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8 = IIF(DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes='" & [OptionCodes] & "'")=0,qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8,
"1 of " & DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes='" & [OptionCodes] & "'"));

Pap265

Local time
Code:
you add "'" delimiter if it is Text:

SET qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8 = IIF(DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes='" & [OptionCodes] & "'")=0,qryStatFillingInStat8.Stat8,
"1 of " & DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes='" & [OptionCodes] & "'"));
sorry arnelgp, im getting a syntax error now.....

Pap265

Local time
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=’" & [OptionCodes]) & “’”)=2,"1 of 2",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=’" & [OptionCodes]) & “’”)=3,"1 of 3",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=’" & [OptionCodes]) & “’”)=4,"1 of 4",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=’" & [OptionCodes]) & “’”)=5,"1 of 5",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=’" & [OptionCodes]) & “’”)=6,"1 of 6",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=’" & [OptionCodes]) & “’”)=7,"1 of 7",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=’" & [OptionCodes]) & “’”)=8,"1 of 8",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=’" & [OptionCodes]) & “’”)=9,"1 of 9",
DCount("1","qryStatFillingInStat8","OptionCodes=’" & [OptionCodes]) & “’”)=10,"1 of 10",

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Why won't you consider the simpler alternative?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom