Solved Unusual problem (1 Viewer)

slharman1

Local time
Today, 05:13
I have a form with related tables that i use to figure the cost of some custom products that we build. Works excellent. Now I need to fill in a quote form with not only those items but also price products "on the fly" and the quote form has to hold the current price from the custom item at the time the quote is saved, even if I change the custom items pricing later (I must hold the price for my customer that I quoted on a given day). What I have done is to use a combo box to lookup values for the custom items using the PK from the custom items table. Then I am using Dlookup to populate the fields on the quote form and using a bound text box to write the values to the quote table. Seems like it is working, I just need to iron out what events to use to trigger the write to quote table or update to quote table if I change something before saving the quote for printing. Does this seem like the right way to go about this? And yes I know I am stepping away from normalization but that is how it has to be unless someone has another way to keep the quote table from being updated if I don't want it updated.

I hope this makes sense.
Thanks for any comments

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:13
Perhaps, you could just use a bound form and simply add one more field to your quote table to indicate if the record is "pending" or "submitted." Just a thought...

slharman1

Local time
Perhaps, you could just use a bound form and simply add one more field to your quote table to indicate if the record is "pending" or "submitted." Just a thought...
and then what? once submitted how to I keep the fields from updating when I modify the underlying custom items data (such as price increases ect) , it seems to me the only way is to have the quote items - price, model number, ect written to the quote table and not be related to the custom items table where the price originally came from. Is that what you mean? Is using Dlookup a valid way to write to the quote detail table?
That is what I am currently doing.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
and then what? once submitted how to I keep the fields from updating when I modify the underlying custom items data (such as price increases ect) , it seems to me the only way is to have the quote items - price, model number, ect written to the quote table and not be related to the custom items table where the price originally came from. Is that what you mean? Is using Dlookup a valid way to write to the quote detail table?
That is what I am currently doing.
Hi. Sorry for the confusion. If you'll notice, I didn't contradict anything you described in your original post. All I was addressing was this part.
...unless someone has another way to keep the quote table from being updated if I don't want it updated.
I may have misunderstood that as saying you don't want the quote to be modified after you have already shown it to the customer.

So, what I was suggesting was to add a field to indicate if the quote is still a work in progress; therefore, changes are still allowed. Or, whether the quote was already finalized; in which case, all data should be frozen.

Hope that makes sense...

slharman1

Local time
Hi. Sorry for the confusion. If you'll notice, I didn't contradict anything you described in your original post. All I was addressing was this part.

I may have misunderstood that as saying you don't want the quote to be modified after you have already shown it to the customer.

So, what I was suggesting was to add a field to indicate if the quote is still a work in progress; therefore, changes are still allowed. Or, whether the quote was already finalized; in which case, all data should be frozen.

Hope that makes sense...
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help. I wish I knew how to mark your post as “the correct answer when I mark a thread as solved.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help. I wish I knew how to mark your post as “the correct answer when I mark a thread as solved.
No worries. Good luck with your project.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:13

The like button at the bottom of the helpful post might be an indication.
Maybe re-title the original post as "Solved". I think as OP you should be able to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom