Update field in table with unbound text box (1 Viewer)

T. McConnell

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:52
Greetings all,
I have a question to see the best way to go about this. I thought I may have found the answer through a different page on here, but lost the link to it (stupid phone) and now I can't remember where I saw it at.
I have a table (tblMain) that has on a daily about 700 to 1000 records in it. Each day it gets dumped into an archived table. However in the tblMain table I have a field that stores a tote number to each record based on what truck they belong to. I am trying to find the easiest way to group all the trucks into one row instead of the 700+ and then update the tote number for each record but using the TruckID field.
I was trying to see if I can use a query to update the tote numbers, but can't seem to get where I need to.
I was hoping to have just one form with a list of the truck Id's and the tote numbers with a button to update the tote for all records based on each truck. I have about 25 to 27 trucks that I update daily with a new tote number.
Fields are TruckID, and EToteNumber, the unbound text box is called txtUpdateTote and the button is called btnUpdateTote.
The data sits in the tblMain table. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
This is confusing because we do not know your table fields and what gets stored in each table. tblMain is not very good name. It should be descriptive of what type of information is stored: tblTrucks, tblTotes, tblTruck_Totes, etc.
You can post an image of your relationship diagram and that would help a lot. I am sure what you want to do can be done, but it is not clear.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A database with tables containing some valid data would be very helpful. Then a spreadsheet with an after view of the table you want to update.

T. McConnell

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry for the late reply, I work 2 jobs and trying to do this in between kind of stinks lol. So basically what I have is a spreadsheet that gets loaded into tblMain that has all the information of work orders for each truck. Before this I never knew a good way in implementing a a price to update the tote number for each truck on a daily basis when a new spreadsheet is uploaded. Right now I have that column in the spreadsheet and it works fine. However sometimes a number may be to get changed if it was entered wrong, I can change each records tote number, but it could be a long process. So I was trying to see how to just have one form change all the tote numbers assigned. So to basically add, I don't really have a multitude of different tables that break down each field. I basically have one table that has everything from the spreadsheet and then some things built off of that. I will try and get some screens of what I can here soon.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So I was trying to see how to just have one form change all the tote numbers assigned.
You have decided on a solution that is unlikely to be optimal.
I basically have one table that has everything from the spreadsheet and then some things built off of that. I will try and get some screens of what I can here soon.
If you want to use a spreadsheet, you will be much happier with Excel. If you want to use a relational database, then you need to normalize your data rather than trying to make Access work like a spreadsheet.

You will get far better help if you post an actual database, preferably with data that makes sense. People will download it and possibly fix it for you. They will not create a database from a static image if you make them retype everything..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom