Update Front End FILE (1 Viewer)

smtazulislam

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:03
Hello,
I have a master copy (.accdb) where some form already updated and further need to update day by day. I would like to update the user file FE by (.accde file) by a BUTTON click, that TODAY update files can work the user. So, how can I create .accde file from .accdb file automatically. This database work with 5 Computers.

Any help will appreciate...

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:03
I suggest you just create the accde manually and just make copies of it.

smtazulislam

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:03
I suggest you just create the accde manually and just make copies of it.
last six months I do that. But lazy to do same work again and again...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:03
How are you distributing the FE? This is probably what you need to work on. There are two common methods.
1. Shortcut that runs a batch file to download and open the FE
2. Shortcut that runs a load .accdb/.accde that checks the version and downloads a new version as necessary and then opens the FE and closes itself

Once the shortcuts are distributed, all you need to do is to replace the "master" FE on the server and the next time the user opens the app, he gets the updated version.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Today, 18:03
How are you distributing the FE? This is probably what you need to work on. There are two common methods.
1. Shortcut that runs a batch file to download and open the FE
2. Shortcut that runs a load .accdb/.accde that checks the version and downloads a new version as necessary and then opens the FE and closes itself

Once the shortcuts are distributed, all you need to do is to replace the "master" FE on the server and the next time the user opens the app, he gets the updated version.
Pat, could you please tell me where I can find the version? Also, user's copy of Access is on Citrix server and when I tried to create a short cut to run it, it couldn't find Access. User's IT guy said Access had to be launched on Citrix and database opened from there.

What I would like to setup is a batch file to copy a fresh FE (to resolve my FE bloat issue) and then launch the FE.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The batch file solution always replaces the FE each time it runs so it is very useful if you have some process that bloats the database.

Version? Not sure what you are referring to. You have to store the latest version of the FE in a folder on the server. I use a subfolder of the BE if they are both on the server. Otherwise, each different application has its own folder. The batch file and FE live in the same folder. For convenience, when I replace the FE, I rename the old version with a date and just move it into a back up folder in case something bad happens and someone needs to replace the FE and I'm not available. I clean this up every few versions since I also have a regulars set of backups.

If you want the FE to confirm its version each time it opens (which is a good idea), you need a version table in the FE and a version table in the BE. The tables have two columns. FEversion and BEversion. The FE has a local table which is updated each time you distribute a new FE and the FE also links to the BE version table. The BE version table is also updated when you distribute a new FE. When you update the BE version, you also update the version tables in both the FE and BE.

When the FE opens, the first thing it does is compare the two tables. BOTH the FE and BE versions must match or the FE should refuse to open. If the versions match, then the form opens the login form or the Switchboard/Menu if you have no login form.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Thanks Pat. Your explanation of version is what I was asking. In VB.Net they have a version property. I thought Access might have the same thing.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Access.exe has a version. If you want YOUR app to have a version, you need to define it.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
When I searched Access version, the only hits were for the versions of Access and not the databases.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That's right because Microsoft Access has a version. It is an application program. Your application only has a version if you assign one to it. Not everyone does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom