update query help!!!! (1 Viewer)

Kieran

Learn learn learn..Forget
Local time
Today, 13:12
i have a query with dollar amounts in one field. i need a query that totals these amounts and puts the total in a table.
Please help me, i'm still pretty new with access and i'm stuck.

thanks

DBL

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:12
Access isn't designed to hold dynamic calculations and there are very few occasions when you would want to store a calculation to a base table. You can create the calculations in queries and show them in forms and reports but there isn't normally a reason to store the result of the calculation. To create the calculation in the query, use the table that holds the data that is used for the total, say it's number of products sold against the product price. In a new column in the query grid you would do:

LineTotal: [Nosold]*[prodprice]

When you run the query you would get the total. This can then be shown, as I mentioned, in either a form or a report.

For the result you want, create a query that includes the figure you want to total. On the query grid toolbar there is a Totals button, click that and you get a Total row on the query grid. Select Sum in the Totals row in the column and run the query. You should get the total value of all the records in the base table.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom