Upgraded to Access 2016 - VBA email sending not working (1 Viewer)

atrium

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:14
We have upgraded from 2010 to Access 2016 and my email routine is not working. Getting a runtime error - 2147417851 (800 10105)
Methos ".To' of object - _Mail Item Failed

This is the code I have been using in 2010
Code:
Public Function SendPDFemail()
 Dim strEmail As String
 Dim strMsg As String
 Dim oLook As Object
 Dim oMail As Object

Set oLook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
 Set oMail = oLook.createitem(0)
 With oMail
 .To = Me.SendToEmailFld    '" emailaddress@sample.com.au"
 .body = "Dear Sir / Madam" & Chr(10) & Chr(10) & "Please find enclosed a self explanatory communication from The Group." & Chr(10) & Chr(10) & Chr(10) & Chr(10) & "Regards" & Chr(10) & Chr(10) & "The Group"
 .Subject = "This is a Communication from The Group for your attention  -  " & Me.ClientRefNoFld
 .Attachments.Add (DocPathFld & PdfFileNameFld)

'********* What is the command to preview instead of send ****  .Display *****
 .Display

End With

Set oMail = Nothing
 Set oLook = Nothing
 End Function

The error stops on the .To item in the With statement

I suspect 2016 does this a little differently Not sure what library references I need. I have included the Microsoft Outlook 16.0 Object Library is there anything else?

Any help would be appreciated

atrium

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:14
you are using late binding so library references should not be required.

Think you need to do some testing - is SendToEmailFld populated?

Since you have the relevant outlook library, convert to early binding and see if that fixes the problem - is so, check 0 is the required value for createitem

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:14
Ran into this. Either use CStr() around the form reference or put it in a variable first.

atrium

Registered User.
Local time
Yes SendToEmailFld = "silly@sam.com" (just a test email set up for this example)
If I substitute "john@abc.com.au" for Me.sendToEmailFld it works perfectly?

When it gives me the error and I select debug and move my cursor over Me.sendToEmailFld it has "john@abc.com.au" in it ???

atrium

Registered User.
Local time
To Pbaldy,
Not sure what you mean by the form reference - Which line

Atrium

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
I think he means change

Code:
 .To = Me.SendToEmailFld

to

Code:
 .To = CStr(Me.SendToEmailFld )

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That's correct.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
@pbaldy

I'm curious about how this works. If you run this code with some data in a textbox named Text0

Code:
MsgBox VarType(Me.Text0)

you get the same result as

Code:
MsgBox VarType(CStr(Me.Text0))
namely 8 which according to this Web page is a string. So what is CStr doing in this case that stops this error.

atrium

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks everyone for your input.

Thanks PBaldy - it worked CStr(Me.SendToEmailFld)
:)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Happy to help!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
looks like this is another case where newer versions of access enforce stronger data typing

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@pbaldy

I'm curious about how this works.

Sorry Steve, I missed this. I eventually solved it myself using a variable. During an online discussion of the issue the CStr() option was thrown out, which also works. It was suspected to be a typing issue as CJ suggested. Seems that the form reference was being seen as a control rather than a string value, and either using a variable declared as String or CStr() resolved it.

In my experience, it was more OS driven than Access version, but I didn't test a lot. I had existing apps that exhibited this error when users were upgraded to 8.1 or 10. I was told the Access version had been the same, but wasn't onsite so couldn't verify.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry Steve, I missed this. I eventually solved it myself using a variable. During an online discussion of the issue the CStr() option was thrown out, which also works. It was suspected to be a typing issue as CJ suggested. Seems that the form reference was being seen as a control rather than a string value, and either using a variable declared as String or CStr() resolved it.

In my experience, it was more OS driven than Access version, but I didn't test a lot. I had existing apps that exhibited this error when users were upgraded to 8.1 or 10. I was told the Access version had been the same, but wasn't onsite so couldn't verify.

Thanks for your response. I still think you shouldn't have to do this and this should be considered a bug by Microsoft.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Maybe more luck than judgement, I've always put the outlook (and other) automation parameters into variables, as I'm certain there was a issue with referring to certain object types within the Outlook properties.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
given the rationale for the explanation, just out of curiosity, if it can be tested does

.To = Me.SendToEmailFld.Value

work?

and to dot all the i's, is SendToEmailFld the real name of the control or is it something else that might be a reserved word? I have come across that as an issue before.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Forgot to mention it first happened to me with a recordset value, so this failed:

.To = rs!FieldName

the fix I came up with at the time (relevant lines only):

Dim strEmail As String
strEmail = rs!FieldName
.To = strEmail

In my case there were no reserved words involved, either when it was a recordset value or form reference.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Instead of

Dim strEmail As String
strEmail = rs!FieldName
.To = strEmail

I've used
.To= rs!FieldName & ""

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:14
If MsgBox VarType(Me.Text0) does not work but,...

MsgBox VarType(CStr(Me.Text0)) DOES work, ...

I think the problem might be that the output of CStr is always a string, and MsgBox definitely wants a string for that position, whereas Me.Text0 is a control, for which Me.Text0.Value is in all likelihood a VARIANT, which is not a string.

That's why using the Cxxx functions to re-cast the format of a value are so helpful. They pretty much guarantee the data type of what you are using.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
If MsgBox VarType(Me.Text0) does not work but,...

MsgBox VarType(CStr(Me.Text0)) DOES work, ...

I think the problem might be that the output of CStr is always a string, and MsgBox definitely wants a string for that position, whereas Me.Text0 is a control, for which Me.Text0.Value is in all likelihood a VARIANT, which is not a string.

That's why using the Cxxx functions to re-cast the format of a value are so helpful. They pretty much guarantee the data type of what you are using.

I didn't mean to confuse this issue with the msgbox function. I was just using that to display the result of VarType which is telling me that the value from a textbox should not have to be converted to a string because it already has the type of String as indicated by the 8 that VarType returns.

If a programmer write the line as

Code:
.To = Me.SendToEmailFld

I can't see any flaw in that code. I think this is a bug that Microsoft should fix.

Another thing about textboxes is that if you do something like

Code:
Me.Text0 + Me.Text1

you get the concatenation of the values in the textboxes, i.e., they act like strings.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:14
sneuberg, I understand. Nonetheless, I have seen cases where due to strong type constraints, even a string isn't equal to a string - if they were qualified differently. The use of CStr "hides" the qualifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom