Solved Upload database size limit (1 Viewer)

HillTJ

To train a dog, first know more than the dog..
Local time
Today, 08:18
Hi, I wish to upload a database for forum feedback. It's about 3mb native, but when stripped of data & compressed comes down to about 1.34mb but it still appears too large to upload (I get the corresponding error when I attempt to upload). I recall uploading larger files previously. Am I doing it wrong now? Appreciate any assistance.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:18
When you say "compressed," is that the same as a "zip" file?

HillTJ

Local time
theDBguy, yes. I zipped it up.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:18
Don't know if the limit has changed. Did you compact it first, then zip it and it's still too large?
There are no objects/images left in attachment type fields?
Did you have embedded images in it at one time (such as in command buttons or other controls)?

HillTJ

Local time
Micron, I deleted a few embedded images, but I'll have another look. Cheers

HillTJ

Local time
Guys, there were a couple of images I neglected to delete. Upload worked after removing them. In general terms are there any best practice guidelines regarding uploading of photos as attachments, eg employee photo?.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
In general terms are there any best practice guidelines regarding uploading of photos as attachments, eg employee photo?.
If you mean uploading a real image of an employee to this forum, or such an image is contained in a db that you upload, I'd say there are no restrictions here but don't take my word for it as I'm not a moderator. I suspect that the more relevant question is, is it ethical to upload such an image without that person's consent? I would take exception to that if it were my image.

If your db contains such images, I think they are not important to whatever issue you're posting about, so why not either delete them, or if images are needed for trouble shooting, replace them with something generic?

HillTJ

Local time
Micron, Sorry, my question appeared to have misled you. You are correct in terms of privacy, but this is not what I'm talking about. To try to explain, should I be concerned about the growth of my database size if I incorporate attachments such as employee photos, PDF's (of scanned documents) etc. I imagine there could be hundreds of said attachments. Is there a 'best practice' way of handling attachments, or do I not have to worry?. Previously I used some code that saved a browsed file to a folder on my drive. It worked well. Just thought I'd ask!!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:18
Yes you should worry about the growth of your database due to the use of attached files whether they are photos, scared documents etc.
There is no good reason to use attachment fields. Instead, store the paths to these as external files which can be opened / viewed from within Access

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Agree - no good reason to use attachment fields. As for growth - if you use attachment fields expect to see high growth.

HillTJ

Local time
Guys, thanks, just as i suspected!. What's the point of an attachment field then?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As with many things, just because you can, doesn't make it a good idea. Probably OK for storing a couple of things like a logo but don't use as a document store.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
What's the point of an attachment field then?
IMHO it's no different than other Access things like multi value fields. If you make something easy you make it attractive, but you don't dare tell anyone what the downside is.

HillTJ

Local time
Thanks. I'm glad i have direction on this matter before i get too deep! Appreciate the responses

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:18
For what it's worth, the ONLY time I ever used an attachment field was for a logo. No other time.

HillTJ

Local time
Thanks, a pretty conclusive argument!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom