use fingerprint to login (1 Viewer)

SalmanZeiad

Local time
Today, 12:34
How do I use the fingerprint software on my laptop to enter the program

SalmanZeiad

Local time
Today, 12:34
i want link my access software to my fingerprint id to login without write password

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:34
See if any of these managed to do it?

Hi Paul, I assume the finger print reader is built in to the laptop?

But as always, it's like playing a guessing game....

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:34
i want link my access software to my fingerprint id to login without write password

This is overkill. If your computer uses a fingerprint scanner to log in, use the ID it established at that time. It is available with appropriate operating system calls. Then the trick is, don't leave the computer logged in when you aren't there. Even the U.S. Navy allows that kind of operation.

This DOES presume that you have established an account for yourself that the computer COULD recognize if you offered the fingerprint.

Here is a link to how to set up your Windows for fingerprint verification. If Windows can do it, there is a module somewhere that you could use, but it is a LOT easier to just trust that your login was validated that way and use the information.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Hi Paul, I assume the finger print reader is built in to the laptop?

But as always, it's like playing a guessing game....
Yes, I did as well, but an external reader would work just as well I expect?

When I worked for Honeywell Bull back in the 80s they were developing fingerprint readers for entry.
Someone asked 'What happens if the person just has their finger chopped off, anyone could use it?'
The reply was 'Well yes, but there is also a thermal sensor, to make sure the finger is attached' :D

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Actually reading the responses in that thread it appears that the fingerprint scanner behaves as an HID device.

HID - human interface device.

This means if you were to select a text box in MS Access then press your finger on the fingerprint scanner it would fill the text box with a code, the same way or similar to using a barcode scanner, but reading your fingerprint as like it would a barcode.

So how to apply this new knowledge to your problem? I would suggest when you open your access database it pops up a login form and on that form selects one of the text boxes. When you press on the fingerprint scanner it would fill the test text box with a unique key based on your fingerprint and then you would look this up in your database in the approved users list and give them permission to continue with your database.

There are many threads on having a login form with a password, for further information, need to look at these.

But first, before you waste a lot of your time and everyone elses, create a test Microsoft Access database with a single form and a single text box and see if it indeed does fill up with characters when you press your finger on the fingerprint scanner.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:34
The biggest problem with fingerprint scanners actually happened to me in my last few years with the the Navy. I went for a new Computer Access Card (lovingly referred to as a CAC, rhymes with quack). They said, "Nope, you aren't you." After a moment of wondering whether I'd just slept through an "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" moment, they told me what had really happened. As I aged, my skin became less taut and eventually my fingers wrinkled a bit. But the reference sample had been taken when I was younger and had tighter skin. The mechanical scanner saw lines (new wrinkles) that weren't in the original sample. Fortunately, their fingerprint person was well aware of the phenomenon, so did a "side-by-side" followed by an overlay. He said, "Yep. You are you." He had to update the record to show that my prints were altered by age because the scanner was sensitive enough to see the wrinkles and dumb enough to not know them for what they were.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:34
The biggest problem with fingerprint scanners actually happened to me in my last few years with the the Navy. I went for a new Computer Access Card (lovingly referred to as a CAC, rhymes with quack). They said, "Nope, you aren't you." After a moment of wondering whether I'd just slept through an "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" moment, they told me what had really happened. As I aged, my skin became less taut and eventually my fingers wrinkled a bit. But the reference sample had been taken when I was younger and had tighter skin. The mechanical scanner saw lines (new wrinkles) that weren't in the original sample. Fortunately, their fingerprint person was well aware of the phenomenon, so did a "side-by-side" followed by an overlay. He said, "Yep. You are you." He had to update the record to show that my prints were altered by age because the scanner was sensitive enough to see the wrinkles and dumb enough to not know them for what they were.
I just bookmarked this post, so I can use it as an excuse in the future. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom