Using a lookup wizard to select multiple entries from a table (1 Viewer)

hazell

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:40
Good morning,
I am trying to create a lookup wizard to record the number of people who attend a regular event. I have a table recording the names, surnames and DOB of registered members and a number of other tables for regular events we hold.
Previously people have been manually adding the names of attendees and of course there have been inconsistencies in the data. I want them to look up the names from the table of registered members. I have been using the lookup wizard, but it is only displaying the first name in a string. I need it to display id, first name, surname and DOB in a table. I also want to be able to type in the first letter and then pick from the list.
Can you please advise me on the best way to do this.
I am using Access 2013
Thanks

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:40
From your description I presume you are creating a combobox to select your members

You need to modify your combobox as follows

rowsource - SELECT ID, firstname & " " & surname, DOB From myTable ORDER BY firstname & " " & surname; Change names to suit

Bound Column=1
Column Count=3
Column Widths=0
Limit to List=yes

I also want to be able to type in the first letter and then pick from the list.
The above provides what is called 'typahead' which I think is what you mean by this

hazell

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you. that worked a treat.
Follow up question:
When I created a query to show the attendees at an event between 2 dates, the attendees are listed in a string. How can I get each entry to show on a separate row?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't understand the problem - suggest you post details of your tables together with some sample data to illustrate the issue

hazell

Registered User.
Local time
When I run the query the information is there, but it is displayed in a single cell, separated by commas, whereas I need it to display on each person who attended on a separate row.
Thanks for the reply

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You are describing the symptom which doesn't help me (It's a bit like you saying to your mechanic 'my car won't start'). I asked
I don't understand the problem - suggest you post details of your tables together with some sample data to illustrate the issue
by this I mean the tables you are using (table name, field names and type) for this particular requirement and by sample data I mean examples of data in those tables.

Otherwise all I can suggest is that that is how you are storing your data or the sql you are actually using is not like I suggested or perhaps you are using reserved words

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom