Using Dlookup (1 Viewer)

MarionD

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:28
Hi there,
Is anyone willing to help me a bit on this:

I have a table tbl_Rates which holds the amount an employee would be payed within a certain time limit. eg.
01.01.2016 till 31.12.2017 - 50 €
01.01.2018 till 31.12.2018 - 55 €
01.01.2019 till (is null) -60 €

Now for reporting purposes I need to:

Work done on 25.10.2016 - Rate 50€
Work done 02.02.2019 - rate 60€

I have this: rate = Nz(DLookup("[RateofPay]", "[tbl_Rates]", "[tblxx_Personal_Id]=" & Stunden!tblxx_Personal_ID & " and " & "[RateStart]<= " & sqlWorkdate & " and " & "[RateEnd]>= " & Workdate), 0)

which work fine but not if the period is in the current period(without an end date... so I need something like this:

rate= Nz(DLookup("[RateofPay]", "[tbl_Rates]", "[tblxx_Personal_Id]=" & Stunden!tblxx_Personal_ID And "[RateStart]<= " & Workdate And "[RateEnd]>= " & sWorkdate Or IsNull([RateEnd])), 0)

Whew! I hope this makes sense to someone....
Basically I have the date on which the work was done and must find the applicable rate....

bdra2778

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:28
The best thing you should do is put a date to infinity (31.12.9999) in End Date.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 19:28
OVerall, we need more context. That Dlookup is chock full of weird references:

Code:
 ..."[tblxx_Personal_Id]=" & Stunden!tblxx_Personal_ID &...

1. Is tblxx_Personal_Id in tbl_Rates? If not, this is a no go from the start. You can only use fields in the criteria argment that exist in the table argument.

2. What does Stunden!tblxx_Personal_ID references? Is that a control on the report? Doesn't seem like the right way to reference it. I bet your code has no idea what you are talking about.

Code:
[RateStart]<= " & sqlWorkdate & " and " & "[RateEnd]>= " & Workdate

3. Why are you using 2 different date variables? If you want to know if a date falls between 2 other dates you would compare that date to those other 2. You are comparing one date value to the Start and then another to the End. That doesn't make sense.

---

In general, my advice is to write out a logical sentence saying what you want to do and then convert that from English to code:

I want the rate of pay that occurs before the Start, and then is either before the end date or of the record with a null end date.

Converting that to code gives us this:

DLookup("[RateofPay]", "tbl_Rates", "[RateStart]<=" & Workdate & " AND (IsNull([RateEnd]) OR [RateEnd>=" & Workdate & ")")

No Nz needed, just parenthesis and an OR to capture the logic of that second criteria for the RateEnd.

MarionD

Registered User.
Local time
Hi there and thanks for the help!

I'm sorry if seems abit mixed up, I try and change the german terms to English when asking a queation as I think it might make more sense then.

1. Is tblxx_Personal_Id in tbl_Rates?.. yes it is

Your last dlookup seems exactly what I want, but I also have to look for the record for a certain employee - can one add an employee ID to the criteria?
I have a local table that I clear and fill every time the report is printed.

I loop through the recordset "workhours" which contains the Employee_ID ,and Nr.of hours worked, and work date.
In the local table I have a field "rate" which I fill by looking in the Tbl_Rates to find the correct amount for the work-date and Employee_ID.

The tbl_Rates holds multiple records for one employee ID with from and till dates for a certain rate, the last being the current rate (with no end date)

Thanks again.

MarionD

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Plog, Have got this working now.
I used a recordset, which I filtered by Employee_ID, then used a findfirst with the dates as criteria. Works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom